The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 08:33 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough
Default A good whip finish tool

I've never been a serious tier, but I learned the basics when I was younger so much of it has stuck. One thing I could never do well was whip finish. I learned to do it by hand ok, but was awful using a tool. Then, I bought a decent whip finish tool. It made all the difference.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:01 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A good whip finish tool

Do you use a 'standard' style or have you found a unique one that works better ?

Big flies I just half hitch a couple times with my fingers. One half hitch ,,i just pull a loop in my thread, switch my bobbin thur it,,and pull it tight. Works good,,,is fast too. But I like a tool when I'm dealing with dry fly size stuff. I can whip and finish with my right hand,while holding my thread and bobbin,,and my hackle back out of the way,,with my left.

If you are onto a new tool,,let us know.

Mike
Old 10-29-2013, 09:18 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

+1, I got a Griffin rotating whip finisher and it is a breeze. Be interested to know which one you got. I use half hitches sometimes, especially when I want to tie off between steps, but I do like a nice whip finish on some flies, especially if I'm not going to use resin or cement on the head.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:43 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

This style can be found anywhere cheap and the video will tell you how easy it is to use.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:48 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

I went from this: Whip Finish

to this: Whip Finish
itchmesir and turbineblade like this.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:36 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Just as a suggestion, do a google search on Gary Borger Double Hitch. It's very simple and fast to tie. I saw Gary demo it about 15 years ago and have been using it ever since. You can pretty much tie it in the time it takes you to pick up a whip finish tool.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 10-30-2013, 05:01 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

whip finish by hand. more thread control

theyre free

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 10-30-2013, 06:54 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
whip finish by hand. more thread control

theyre free
I've played around with it but haven't seen the advantage. Never found the whip finisher a burdensome purchase ($8 or so with shipping 3 years ago) and it is very handy. Do people have trouble controlling thread with a finisher? I find it easy.
fly_guy12955 and ia_trouter like this.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:39 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

For tying small flies I bought a midge whip finisher. Made a big difference.

Randy
Old 10-30-2013, 08:26 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I've played around with it but haven't seen the advantage. Never found the whip finisher a burdensome purchase ($8 or so with shipping 3 years ago) and it is very handy. Do people have trouble controlling thread with a finisher? I find it easy.
different strokes for different folks.

no right or wrong in fly tying.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/