The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ia_trouter
  • 1 Post By craigthor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 01:33 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default CDC and Comparadun...

Wet and rainy out so I tied up a few sample flies to test the waters with. Here is a size 16 CDC and Comparadun. Kind of funny as I have been tying a lot of 20-22's and the size 16 hook seems gigantic. My size 10's look like snagging hooks.

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

And a second with a different color CDC.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:31 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: CDC and Comparadun...

Those are nice flies. They are very buggy looking. I believe comparadun hackle is tied in with the natural deer hair tips forward and then stood straight up and flared out rather than slanting back. Craig Matthews aptly demonstrates the procedure on his sparkle dun you tube video. Good luck with those flies.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:44 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Looks like a cdc elk caddis great fly
Old 10-31-2013, 06:22 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
Looks like a cdc elk caddis great fly
Thanks, pretty much what I was aiming for just using what was on hand currently.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:26 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Did you call it a comparadun because that is the kind of hair you used? Some deer hair is labeled comparadun because it is suitable for that style of fly, but very usable for other patterns, like the ones you tied. Great pattern!
Old 10-31-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Did you call it a comparadun because that is the kind of hair you used? Some deer hair is labeled comparadun because it is suitable for that style of fly, but very usable for other patterns, like the ones you tied. Great pattern!
Yep I tied with with Comparadun, looks fine than the deer hair i have seen.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:01 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

They look trouty to me Craig. Let's get a few of them wet tomorrow and let the fish vote.
craigthor likes this.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
They look trouty to me Craig. Let's get a few of them wet tomorrow and let the fish vote.
I got 2 tied up for testing purposes.
williamhj likes this.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:38 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

When using cdc noting makes them float like Dry Magic and Frog Fanny.