The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By s fontinalis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 08:30 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Black Gordon

Here's a dozen I tied this week for a swap on another board.

Pattern as follows

Hook: Allen Salmon Iron Size 4
Tag/rib: Wide gold oval tinsel (tag is one turn behind the body then continue to wind the ribs
Body: Rear third red wool, front two thirds black wool
Throat: Henny Black Rooster saddle hackle or schlappen wound full as a collar
Wing: Silver fox dyed black
Head: Black.

Eunan

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's a bigger one i tied on Blue Heron size 3 (much bigger than the allen size 4)
Click the image to open in full size.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-01-2013, 09:02 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: Black Gordon

Like I always say...Those are amazing!
Old 11-01-2013, 07:06 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Eunan, your flies are always amazing!

Is the fox a deep black? On my screen it looks a bit of a brownish black. I would have sworn it was bear had you not given the recipe. I know our monitors don't always provide the colors true to the recipe, so that's why I'm asking. The hackle does look black, but not the fox fur.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-02-2013, 06:08 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

It is brownish. I dyed it myself, was impossible to get darker.
I'll post a before and after close up when I get back to my computer

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-02-2013, 11:31 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Thank you for the reply! I feel better about what I was seeing now! Either way, that's a wonderful looking pattern!

I've had difficulty dyeing black too at times. Didn't make any difference what it was I was attempting to dye either. I usually ended up with some nice charcoal gray or a brownish black. I have had more success with dyeing white feathers than with fur or hairs however.

When I was able to get a good deep black it seemed like I had to use a lot of dye & there was a lot of waste. I very seldom try to dye black now & instead buy anything I need "real" black already dyed. There truly is an art to dyeing & I'm still not fully there yet even after many years of doing it!

I recall someone mentioning to dye red first, then black & the results were better, but I've never tried it.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!