The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 08:05 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold
Default Scud tying questions

Tying up a few basic scuds and have a few questions so I can improve.

What is your favorite scud hook? I'd like a little wider gape so I can fatten them up just a touch.

What is the largest size scud you have had consistent success with in winter conditions?

Any other scud advice welcomed.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:14 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Scud tying questions

Tiemco 2457 16 and 18
Old 11-02-2013, 10:27 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

I also like The 2457 or 2488s which have a straight eye in 12s 14s & 16s I also Tie most of my Beetles & Mudeyes on 8s & 10s as they really hang onto The Fish.
Brian
Old 11-02-2013, 10:30 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Daichii 1120s are a 2x heavy scud and the 1130s are a 1x heavy, 1140s are what I use for my 18-22's. I've tied up 14's but if you want some hooks I have scuds in size 6-16 if you want to play with some. The arched shank really opens up the hook.

I've used these hooks in 10 and 12's for soft hackles in the winter time and landed many a trout in near zero temps.

I do have a couple more scud patterns in the other book for you to check out also.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:47 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

I have Allen scud hooks I really like in size 16 and 12. My 18s and 20s are so weak they are hard to tie without bending them. Trying to get an idea what other hooks to try for the smallish sizes. Heavier 14s and 18s are what think I probably need to add. I tied as large as 12 tonight but I think it's a bluegill scud.

Last edited by ia_trouter; 11-03-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:17 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I don't tie many of my scuds in 12's, just because they are a tad too big. However, a nice heavily weighted 14 is probably my favorite. In fact, during the winter my nymph rigs will almost always consist of a size size 14 scud. Sometimes I'll go smaller, but 14 is my favorite.

I tie some on Allen's, but I also like the Tiemco 2457s. I've also got a fondness for Dai-Riki 135's. They're all similiar hooks as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:07 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
My 18s and 20s are so weak they are hard to tie without bending them.
is it really the hook or maybe youre being a little heavy handed

a size 18-20 scud is not going to have the same amount of materials on them as would a size 12

did you use the following?

http://www.allenflyfishing.com/n203/

heres a little something i'm seeing with allen hooks: i will find some fine wire hooks mixed in with the heavy wire hooks. i can only assume somebody isnt sorting them correctly or maybe theres another problem. i like allen hooks and will continue to buy more when my current supply gets low
mcnerney likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 11-03-2013, 08:38 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
I have Allen scud hooks I really like in size 16 and 12. My 18s and 20s are so weak they are hard to tie without bending them. Trying to get an idea what other hooks to try for the smallish sizes. Quality 14s and 18s are what think I probably need to add. I tied as large as 12 tonight but I think it's a bluegill scud.
I pretty much decided to use allens hooks for what I tie. I use the one thats like the 2488 mostly and some 2457 style hooks.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
is it really the hook or maybe youre being a little heavy handed

a size 18-20 scud is not going to have the same amount of materials on them as would a size 12
I understand what you are saying, but no these particular hooks are very fine wired and soft in a couple sizes I have. Much more delicate than my dry fly hooks. In a couple smaller sizes the vendor was out of the P/Ns I normally use.

I will get some hooks and tie up some 14s. I have Allen hooks in about 25 sizes/styles. They are very nice hooks. Strong and sharp.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:26 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

This thread came to mind when I saw your question and I'm sure has a lot of the information you're looking for.

Scuds Sizes?
mcnerney likes this.