The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 05:36 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default Need quality fly tying equipment

I am about to start tying this winter, I know nothing, I would like to buy some quality equipment that will last a lifetime. Any suggestions?

flymoron
Old 11-03-2013, 06:02 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Need quality fly tying equipment

make a trip to your local fly shop and talk to the owner about fly tying tools, materials, tying lessons etc

you should be able to try their demo vices to get a feel for them

there are way too many variables to provide you with a check list of tying tools

every fly tyer is opinionated and will provide you with items that they use but that may you may not want or can afford

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 11-03-2013, 09:56 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

If you want a kit the Cabelas deluxe tool kit is damned hard to beat. Its $35 in the bargain cave. It has every tool you could want and the vise comes with a very solid pedestal as well as a C clamp base. It all fits into a slim attractive wooden box. You really can't beat it for the money. I own one and even after buying a better vise this is my travel kit. Its worth every penny.

That said, if you decide to stick with it, like with every kit you'll soon want a better vise. I'd reccomend a Renzetti Traveler or a Griffin. But wait on those till you decide tying is for you. If you buy the kit and don't like tying you're out thirty five bucks plus materials. Better to learn that before dropping $$$ on a vise. As to additional tools, look at Allen. The scissors that come with the Cabelas kit are good, but I'd supplement them with some of Allen's fine points while they are the deal of the week, as in buy a pair today. I think shipping is free. Maybe buy an extra bobbin or two while you're there. I know a couple of cheap sources for what amounts to seconds for fur and feathers which I use to learn. PM me if you're interested.
Good luck.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:59 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

+1 on flytire's advise. A trip to your local fly shop (assuming you have one) will pay dividends. Not sure how it is where you are located but usually in the winter months, fly shops offer fly tying classes. This is an excellent way to dive into it. The instruction alone is worth the price of the classes, but you'll figure out what you like and don't like about different tools and vises.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:30 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I second this advice, but sadly I live in a place where the idea of a local fly shop is a tall tale told by us old farts to incredulous youngsters. Its all youtube videos and net stores now down here. But if you do have a local hit them up. The words "I want to start tying" from a newbie are to a fly shop the same as the words "I'm a lttle bit drunk, do you mind if I use your phone" spoken by a pretty woman to a guy in a bar. They both know they are going to score and will bend over backwards to be helpful, at least if they're smart.
Good luck.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:24 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

One thing you'll have to decide on is whether or not you want a true-rotary vise. Though many say they don't use the rotary feature that much, I'm glad I now have it.

If you're not tying big saltwater flies and want a true rotary I'd look at a Peak vise or a Renzetti Traveler. If you want to go cheaper, I'd look at a Griffin Odyssey Spider.

I highly recommend a good pair of all-purpose serrated scissors. It will really help you cut deer hair.

Randy
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:30 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

What flytire said...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 11-03-2013, 02:06 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Local shops can be great, stress on the word can. If you have a good one then that is the place to start. A good one will have a range of options available, they'll take time with you and help get you set up with stuff that works for you. I've had good shops point me to another store to get something they don't carry but would work better for me. However some can be like used car lots with low inventory. They are more interested in talking you into what they have than learning what you need.

There is tons of good gear available online. You can learn a lot about what is good to get here on the forum and from other sources. If you don't have a good fly shop, talk to someone you know and trust that they can get you started.
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:31 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

First by A K Best book title production fly tying read he will explain all you need. Rotary vice Dyna king barracuda and you don't need to buy rubber bands to keep it together. No rotary Regal or Hmh. Scissors Anvil, bobbins Materalli,no need for ceramic, whip finisher Materalli that's all you really need in tools Don't buy kits waste of money ,make a list of patterns you want to tye only buy supplies for those patterns .
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:48 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Billy if you are buying new. The kits have too much junk in them. That said, I bought about of $125 of stuff of ebay, including some good tools and a lot of materials for $40. There are tons of pretty much new kits there and you can see if this is for you or not. If you stay with this, you will want good quality tools soon but you can upgrade as you see fit. The tools and supplies add up VERY quick. Not trying to talk you out of it, I quickly became obsessed with tying.
Hardyreels, mcnerney and craigthor like this.