The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By pszy22
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By Jimmie
  • 1 Post By flytire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 10:29 AM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough
Default 2nd Fly

Hey guys,

Pretty new to tying as I've only been doing it a few weeks. Got a bunch of stuff to tie Woolly Buggers so that's all I've been tying, both size 6 & 10. Going to run to the fly shop this afternoon to start messing around with another fly during football today. Just looking for some suggestions. Would like to stick with something easy used for trout fishing.

Thanks
Mike
Old 11-03-2013, 11:45 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 2nd Fly

The devil bug is a great pattern, I've caught a ton of trout on it. It's easy, quick to tie using only a few materials. It's versatile in that you can fish it in a number of different ways.

Here's a good tutorial - Gary Borger Devil Bug

I'd suggest tying some up in sizes 12 and 14 and a few 10s and 16s once you get the hang of it.

As with any pattern, I'd suggest you tie at least 6, preferably 12 in the same size. Tying the same fly several times will really help you get your proportions down. Once you've got it down, of course there is no need for so much repetition. When you are first getting started, it's tough if every fly you tie is a different pattern and size. So I think you are on the right path.

By the way, since a fly like this is simple and cheap, if you don't like the way a fly looks, cut it off the hook with a razor blade and start over.
jaybo41 and gzarboni like this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 11-03-2013, 11:48 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The first 6 beginner's flies in Dick Talleur's book "The Fly Tyer's Primer" are all soft hackles
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:04 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Beadhead Caddis Larva. I'd recommend both olive and tan.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:23 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Beadhead Caddis Larva. I'd recommend both olive and tan.
First fly I learned to tie in light olive. Good fly to tie for learning dubbing; ribbing; body/thorax proportions.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:22 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Would like to stick with something easy used for trout fishing.
Gold ribbed hares ear

Pheasant tail nymph

Scuds

Montana stoneflies

Try a pattern that YOU want to tie
mcnerney likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 11-03-2013, 06:17 PM

crazy4oldcars is on a distinguished road

+1 on the Gold-ribbed Hare's Ear and the Pheasant tail Nymph.
I learned it from Al Campbell's tutorial.
There are several other easy to tie flies in his "Beginner's" series.

Kirk