The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 07:43 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Cool hopper pattern anyone tried it?

Was looking though an archived site and saw this cool hopper pattern, lots of steps but a really neat looking hopper when done.

Instructions are here: https://web.archive.org/web/20081209...er/index.shtml though not all pictures are archived there is enough of them to kind of figure it out.

Click the image to open in full size.
calftail likes this.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:38 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cool hopper pattern anyone tried it?

Looks similar to the whitlock hopper. However, the body looks like it is hair rather than the polypropylene yarn I'm used to seeing. Great pattern!
Old 11-03-2013, 10:23 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

No idea if it catches fish, but from the bottomside it sure looks a whole lot more like a real hopper than the foam patterns.
craigthor likes this.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:58 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

That is very nice, but 45 steps?

I get something close in 1/3rd that.
bear 007 and craigthor like this.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:39 AM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
No idea if it catches fish, but from the bottomside it sure looks a whole lot more like a real hopper than the foam patterns.
That's what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
That is very nice, but 45 steps?

I get something close in 1/3rd that.
Yeah definitely lots of steps but they literally broke down every little detail.

---------- Post added at 06:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Looks similar to the whitlock hopper. However, the body looks like it is hair rather than the polypropylene yarn I'm used to seeing. Great pattern!
Yep it is all hair, nothing against foam but this might be a must tie for the challenge.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:43 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Very reminiscent of Mike Lawson's Henry's Fork Hopper (my favorite hopper). I will attest to Mike's pattern as having fishing catching ability, twas/is a killer and your tie should be it's equal. Mike's fly was originally tied without kicking legs. I rarely see hoppers tied nowadays without legs of some form or another.

Nicely done craigthor.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:48 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Harry's tutorials and presentation were VERY detailed, so as not to leave anything to question. A number of these 'steps' were partial steps, but for a novice tyer or someone who wasn't actually seeing the hands do something or watching a video, this minute breakdown left nothing to question.

As for the question "Has anyone tried the pattern"? YES, and it works very well... floats like a cork, but after a few (large) fish take it down, the elk/deer hair body starts to look a little worse for wear.

I tied these up in natural, olive and gray and changed wing/underwing colors as needed to match the naturals. And for really rough water, I also incorporated an under-underwing of CDC.
craigthor likes this.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:08 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Can't leave the "Henry's Fork Hopper" be.... Elk hair and a Pheasant feather! Simple.

I had a bank feeder on the RR ranch gobble it in it's mouth. The rainbow was as long as my leg but I yanked it out of it's mouth. Fond, forlorn memories.

From the catalog....
Old 11-06-2013, 06:14 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Calftail

That looks like a good first hopper for me. Meaning I think I could get it right before it snows here Can you point me to a particular recipe, or is it so generic a youtube search would yield what I need?
Old 11-06-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Calftail

That looks like a good first hopper for me. Meaning I think I could get it right before it snows here Can you point me to a particular recipe, or is it so generic a youtube search would yield what I need?
Fly Angler's OnLine "Beginning Fly Tying Part 32"

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

Quicky tie of the Henry's Fork Hopper