The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 01:09 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default ceramic bobbin

I ordered some materials from jstockard tonight and grabbed up a 3 inch doctor slick ceramic bobbin in the process. seemed the bottom prongs look far apart unlike the 4 inch which looked exactly like mine but with the ceramic. my bobbin was very tough to pull the thread and it snapped regular 6/0 like nothing. my bobbin never worked like the guys in the videos on youtube do. I had to manually twist the spool on the bobbin. this would loosen my thread and sometimes screw up the fly. maybe this will be better and just flow smoothly? will let ya know. I also got 2 hares masks olive and natural since they were on sale and I got natural partridge feathers for soft hackle wet flys. I got some pearl over white chenile and some white strung marabou for a baitfish/minnow wooley buggers I am gonna make and also some red floss for royal wulffs and coachmans. grabbed some white cdc to try that out also on a few emergers and a pack of doll eyes for some zonker patterns I am gonna pound out! I think I am well set till next time seeing as I just got all my olive bucktail and pearl tubing with zonker strips in black(both crosscut and regular) and regular olive

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:40 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: ceramic bobbin

now that I got a better bobbin I was like who cares if I break the other one. so I take it and bend the dog snot out of it. it doesn't break. but now it feeds perfect with no fails from even 6/0 thread! at least now I know I got 2 bobbins lmao. what a moron I am. oh well it is worth the purchase. now I got 2 to use!

Old 02-17-2008, 01:57 AM

I am still in awe! I can prolly double my ties now! wow I can't wait to get tying in the morning!

Old 02-17-2008, 05:23 PM

wfosborn is on a distinguished road

Hi George,

Having the extra bobbins are totally worth it. I think I have 4 right now I keep loaded up with different colors or sizes of thread and I'm sure I'll keep collecting more. I hate taking the time to reload a bobbin with a different thread.

On your bobbin bending, you found out the secret to adjusting the tension. I also have one that uses a spring that you tighten or loosen to adjust the tension that I keep my most-used thread on. I can keep it pretty loose and just squeeze my hand a little as I'm tying to get more tension, seems to work well for me . . .

--W
Old 02-17-2008, 07:18 PM

ya bobbins are good thngs to have. one guy told me he had 47 not counting his floss ones. that may be too many but 2 will do me good for now. lol.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:40 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

buy a god book on beginning fly tying if you haven't yet. it's a waste of your time to reinvent the wheel. bending the bobbin to fit is a standard practice. be careful with the ceramic bobbin though. if you drop it onto the floor, it might break the ceramic insert. just another often cited tidbit you can find in a book.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:15 AM

I got one book so far. it wasn't as if I didn't kno to bend it or not. I knew and did before. just not hard and far enough to make it work. I don't got lots of money so I didn't wnana break the only one i had. so I was wussy with it basically.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:52 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

I save the ceramic for floss. Just too much trouble to play around with it. Like the more durable bobbins for threads. Cheaper to use..wear out and replace. Ceramic too pricey to ruin using for day to day tying.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 02-18-2008, 12:36 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Here's 2 more bobbin tips... If you get a burr in the bobbin tube & it starts to cut thread ( very frustrating) thread a peice of Kevlar Thread thru the tube, Grab both ends of the kevlar thread & spin the bobbin around the thread. It will polish the tube I.D..... For Threading the bobbin try those mono loops for pulling dental floss. You can get a lifetime supply for a few bucks in any drugstore
I have about 6 bobbins but my favorite is the spring loaded one that I bought with the Nor Vise. It's the best if you do a lot of rotary tying. I don't use the Nor vise much, but i use the bobbin a lot.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:27 PM

kory wyatt is on a distinguished road
Re: ceramic bobbin

I have a hard time snappin my thread and cant wait to try out the kevlar polish thanx for the great tip!!!!