The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: midge nymphs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Joni,
Your double bug looks interesting, I like it.
Have you ever had any issues with the swimming nymph hooks straightening out? I had it happen a couple times many years ago and havn't used them since, just curious if maybe they are using a little heavier wire now.

My fish must like me...I have only had one fish straighten a hook and it was a small dry.
These seem heavy, I would imagine if they are still making them they wouls have had to improve. Either that or they just wait for schmuks like me ;-)

As far as the Irish Spring goes, I can't tell you how many Kamloops that baby caught at the Lodge or a Little Lake in Idaho.
Use to be deadly at Mantua till those little guys took over and pushed all the Rainbow and Kams to some other place.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Mantua is where all this madness started for me, it still grows toads.

That little lake in Idaho, does it start with the letter D?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen the toads for the past couple of years at "M". And you got the Idaho Lake.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

******* was smokin hot this last fall.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-21-2008, 01:32 PM

Gotta meet up and compare notes. Will have my ID license next week. Have to save up for that bugger!
Old 02-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Geez!!! those things are like $80.00 now aren't they?

That's ok, I know I'll get my moneys worth out of it. lol

Do you float the S/F much?

Old 02-21-2008, 01:41 PM

Fished it, but never floated it. Something I definitely want to do. Just never had a driver to pick us up. I sooo badly need to find a friend that loves the outdoors, can take great action pictures, hates fishing, and loves to drive....!

Now remember this is coming from a woman, but being able to make breakfast and lunch possibly dinner and I would have it made!
Old 02-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck with all that! lol
We should all meet up sometime, I told Dorian I would float him this Summer,
Would make shutteling much easier too.

So you haven't fished the Canyon section?

Old 02-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Frank- you mean a tungsten bead?

A Ti bead would make the toughest midge ever, but wouldn't add a whole lot of weight.
Hi Cliff,

Yea, thanks.

Frank
Old 02-21-2008, 08:16 PM

doc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Doc, that first one I call the "IRISH SPRING" I use the red tag, and then the body is Kelly Green Flashabou with copper rib and copper bead. But I do the Peacock with a wing case and gills.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is a double off a Partridge Swim Hook

Hah! I thought I was pretty original with my X-Mas Chronie. I guess Phil is right, there are no patterns that are originals any more, just patterns that have your own touches to them.
That double is fairly interesting, how effective is it and what are your catch rates compared to a single or a two chironomid dropper set-up?

I notice you tie your gills behind the bead head. Is that preference? And have you tried tying the gills first then slipping the bead over with the gills sticking out the front of the fly?

Cheers,
Doc