The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: midge nymphs

I do both on the gills. Like I said, with the split gills it wiggles nice in the water so I like that pattern on water where I am moving (like windy days) If I am just deep nymphing I do as you posted.
I have caught fish on the double, but don't notice it being an improvement. More one of those flies for the fisher. But I did tie some for a swap here and on of the FF here did well with it.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:01 PM

doc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I have caught fish on the double, but don't notice it being an improvement. More one of those flies for the fisher. But I did tie some for a swap here and on of the FF here did well with it.
Well it`s definitely original and the first double chironomid I`ve seen. I think I`ll post a pic of it on my blog. That is your tie right? Did you also create the pattern?

Cheers,
doc
Old 02-21-2008, 11:11 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I tried to make a beadhead brassie. heres a pic. its not the best cause I didn't wrap the copper wire evenly now that I look at it up close (looked good from far away!) but its not bad for a spur of the moment night after you been drinking thing. heres a pic. I didn't even wanna post it at 1st its so terrible! I made only 2 wraps of peacock and it seems a lil bit sparse? oh well I will cut it down and will make way better ones tomorrow. very simple pattern if not tipping brewski all night! I see these gills you guys are making on um. whats that do and what do you use to make um?? also what else can use instead of peacock for the thorax part?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV30404.JPG (79.0 KB, 13 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Well it`s definitely original and the first double chironomid I`ve seen. I think I`ll post a pic of it on my blog. That is your tie right? Did you also create the pattern?

Cheers,
doc
As with a lot of my patterns, I got this one from a Magazine article a while back (don't even remember which one) Just the Irish Twins was my idea, but the even that Chironomid is someone elses. Like you said, we take an idea and tweek it to fit our needs.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi McFly,

Not bad at all. I would like the herl up tight against the beadhead. You might try starting your herl wrap right behind the head and make you wrap toward the tail. I wouldn't use any more herl. I think it is just about the right amount.

Frank
Old 02-22-2008, 02:25 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Looks Good.....

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 02-22-2008, 02:39 PM

Mc Fly, I will take a dozen!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:48 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

the herl was up to the beadhead until I whip finished it right there and smashed it down. maybe I made to many wraps?. any other place better to finish it at? these are a easy to make pattern now that I worked all the kinks out. can make a dozen in a half hour prolly!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.