A Vise for Christmas

boltface

Reaction score
My grandson started fly fishing this past Spring and has been using an inexpensive vise I got on ebay. He's used a rotary vise one of his friends has and really liked it plus his current vise has some problems gripping hooks. So with Christmas coming soon it's time for a vise upgrade.

He's been searching the web, watching YouTube videos etc and is considering the Peak Rotary Vise and the Griffin Montana Mongoose Vise.

If anyone has positive or negative input on either of these vises your comments would be appreciated. Or if there's a better choice in this price range that would be helpful also.

Thanks

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
the peak is a nice rotary vise made in AMERICA

really cant go wrong there

im very happy with mine for the year and a half I've been using it

it seems to handle tiny hooks for trout and large hooks for streamers

the rotary works very nice

its really a well made entry level rotary vise

pszy22

Reaction score
Another one to look at - Renzetti Traveler. This vise has been around for decades, alot of folks use them. I've been using mine going on 20 years.

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
I have not used the Peak vice but from I understand and have seen, it's very similar to the Anvil Atlas which I have...and love.

It was a bit on the tight side at first and took a bit of adjusting to get used to the jaws, but once I figured it out, I haven't had any reason to consider anything else.

Also made in the US

Good luck and great present!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Lots of well made vises on the market these days, you really couldn't go wrong with the Renzetti Traveller, the Peak or the Anvil Atlas. I've used the Peak now for about three years and love it, recently I bought and Anvil Atlas for my grandson, it looks to be very well made also. Lots of folks on the forum that love their Renzetti Traveller vises.

Larry

flytire

Reaction score
i'm all for saving a few bucks here and there so if i were you, you should sign up for feather crafts email specials. theyre always sending them out and you can sometimes get 20-30-40-50 dollars of and get that new vise at a discounted price. i got an email and bought my brand new renzetti traveler 2300 at $30 off. $169 is a hell of a lot better than $199.

it totally up to you which brand you get. have you asked your grandson which vise he was tying on? maybe thats the one HE wants.

the renzetti, anvil and the peak all hold hooks equally the same. its a coin toss

Feather-Craft Fly Fishing | Fly Fishing Rods, Reels, Waders, Flies, Fly Tying Materials | Sage Rods | Simms Waders | Since 1955

Last edited:

jaybo41

Reaction score
I've been using a Peak for several years now, I think since 2009 and am very pleased with it. I don't think your grandson will be disappointed. It's got a VERY heavy base, is well made and swapping out jaws are fairly easy. I use both the standard and midge jaws. I've heard very good things about Peak's customer service but have not had to use them yet.

All of the others are options mentioned are good ones too, I've heard great things about both Anvil and Renzetti.

What kind of rotary has he tried and liked? That would likely be a good option. It can be a personal choice much like a fly rod, but I'm of the opinion that many of us over think this. You can learn to tie on any vise, the key is how well do they grip the hooks. All of the ones mentioned will do that well.

gzarboni

Reaction score
I am currently using a Peak. I can't really compare it to other vices as this is the only one I have ever used. I like it very much, and as buddist_palm mentioned it is made in the USA

Glen

itchmesir

Reaction score
the peak is a nice rotary vise made in AMERICA

really cant go wrong there

im very happy with mine for the year and a half I've been using it

it seems to handle tiny hooks for trout and large hooks for streamers

the rotary works very nice

its really a well made entry level rotary vise
Griffin is also made in MMMERRRICA

rapman

Reaction score
danvise is a good option as well and comes in at less than $100.

I had a peak rotary - very smooth rotary action and good clamping power. I found the jaws a bit bulky for tying some smaller stuff.

currently I'm using a renzetti traveller. Great vise. I've used it for everything from 20's to 1/0's and have had zero issues. And, as its name implies, it's extremely portable.

boltface

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the replies!

By the way I didn't pick out the two vises I mentioned, grandson did. So obviously this is not going to be a surprise. All the stuff back at his birthday in March was the surprise. Now we are upgrading the vise. I just want to help him get something that he will enjoy using.

The rotary he used at a friends was a Renzetti Traveler that came from Orvis. I think grandson didn't want to be copying the friend so that is one reason he didn't have that on his list. I'll talk to him about that tomorrow.

I signed up for the mailing list for Feather-Craft but I'm sure that there will be no discounts between now and when the vise needs to be ordered. That's the way that usually works.

I found it interesting that no one was using the Griffin.

fr8dog

Reaction score
I have a Griffin. I tie from 8's to 2/0 stuff. My son does the trout thing and uses it for flies down into the 20's. Good vise.

flytire

Reaction score
I signed up for the mailing list for Feather-Craft but I'm sure that there will be no discounts between now and when the vise needs to be ordered. That's the way that usually works.
i think youre mistaken about that. i just got an email yesterday from feather craft with citing 15% off fly tying materials when buying $100 + i received their christmas gifts catalog in the mail

plus theres about 6 more weeks before christmas. i'll bet youll get something between now and then

flyfisher117

Reaction score
Cant go wrong with the Griffin, also made right here in the US. I only have the older model of the Blackfoot Mongoose but I love it. No problem with size 20 trout flies all the way up to large steelhead jigs. Every hook is held securely. Guess it just comes down to preferance. Flyvices are like the ford/chevy/dodge or Mac/Pc debates.

fq13

Reaction score
What size flies? I agonized between the Peak, Renzetti Traveler and Mongoose. I went with the Mongoose, and zero complaints, because it would handle larger saltwater hooks without a second set of jaws. Most of what I tie is size 12 to 2/0 and its fine. That said I do slightly prefer the straight jaws of the Renzetti rather than the angled ones, but not at the price of a second set of jaws. I got my Mongoose like new for $132 on Ebay. Check them out. A lot of folks start then burn out, plus there are estate sales. Either way there are bargains to be had.

billyspey

Reaction score
My first rotary was a renzetti traveler every time I went to use therubber band was broke .i have come to hate this thing.pay the price for a vise have to stock up on rubber bands. So I ditched it bought a dyna king barracuda haven't looked back. That's been 12 yrs. if I were to buy another rotary it would be a Peak.