The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 08:52 AM

boltface is on a distinguished road
Default A Vise for Christmas

My grandson started fly fishing this past Spring and has been using an inexpensive vise I got on ebay. He's used a rotary vise one of his friends has and really liked it plus his current vise has some problems gripping hooks. So with Christmas coming soon it's time for a vise upgrade.

He's been searching the web, watching YouTube videos etc and is considering the Peak Rotary Vise and the Griffin Montana Mongoose Vise.

If anyone has positive or negative input on either of these vises your comments would be appreciated. Or if there's a better choice in this price range that would be helpful also.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2013, 09:00 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: A Vise for Christmas

the peak is a nice rotary vise made in AMERICA

really cant go wrong there

im very happy with mine for the year and a half I've been using it

it seems to handle tiny hooks for trout and large hooks for streamers

the rotary works very nice

its really a well made entry level rotary vise
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:00 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Another one to look at - Renzetti Traveler. This vise has been around for decades, alot of folks use them. I've been using mine going on 20 years.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 11-13-2013, 09:01 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I have not used the Peak vice but from I understand and have seen, it's very similar to the Anvil Atlas which I have...and love.

It was a bit on the tight side at first and took a bit of adjusting to get used to the jaws, but once I figured it out, I haven't had any reason to consider anything else.

Also made in the US

Good luck and great present!
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:13 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for Renzetti Traveller, that is what I use. I'm guessing they'd all work fine.
pszy22 and jaybo41 like this.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of well made vises on the market these days, you really couldn't go wrong with the Renzetti Traveller, the Peak or the Anvil Atlas. I've used the Peak now for about three years and love it, recently I bought and Anvil Atlas for my grandson, it looks to be very well made also. Lots of folks on the forum that love their Renzetti Traveller vises.

Larry
pszy22, jaybo41 and mridenour like this.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:58 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

i'm all for saving a few bucks here and there so if i were you, you should sign up for feather crafts email specials. theyre always sending them out and you can sometimes get 20-30-40-50 dollars of and get that new vise at a discounted price. i got an email and bought my brand new renzetti traveler 2300 at $30 off. $169 is a hell of a lot better than $199.

it totally up to you which brand you get. have you asked your grandson which vise he was tying on? maybe thats the one HE wants.

the renzetti, anvil and the peak all hold hooks equally the same. its a coin toss

Feather-Craft Fly Fishing | Fly Fishing Rods, Reels, Waders, Flies, Fly Tying Materials | Sage Rods | Simms Waders | Since 1955
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 11-13-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:19 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using a Peak for several years now, I think since 2009 and am very pleased with it. I don't think your grandson will be disappointed. It's got a VERY heavy base, is well made and swapping out jaws are fairly easy. I use both the standard and midge jaws. I've heard very good things about Peak's customer service but have not had to use them yet.

All of the others are options mentioned are good ones too, I've heard great things about both Anvil and Renzetti.

What kind of rotary has he tried and liked? That would likely be a good option. It can be a personal choice much like a fly rod, but I'm of the opinion that many of us over think this. You can learn to tie on any vise, the key is how well do they grip the hooks. All of the ones mentioned will do that well.
mcnerney and pszy22 like this.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:05 PM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice

I am currently using a Peak. I can't really compare it to other vices as this is the only one I have ever used. I like it very much, and as buddist_palm mentioned it is made in the USA

Glen
mcnerney likes this.

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 11-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Got a Peak....very good and affordable vise .
mcnerney likes this.