The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By craigthor
  • 1 Post By boltface
  • 1 Post By boltface

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 07:06 PM

boltface is on a distinguished road
Default A Vise for Christmas - Revised

It's me again. Grandson after much you tube watching and talking with his friends has added another vise to the mix. I think he is unknowingly following in my foot steps of working your way up in price.

He is now considering the Dyna-King Trekker. One of the things he likes is the way the jaws are made to hold the different size hooks, also the detent on the locking arm.

Does anyone have experience with this vise ?

Comments are appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2013, 07:33 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A Vise for Christmas - Revised

For about the same price you could get one custom made. I found a craftsman in Italy that makes them. Hand lathes all the metal from Stainless, Aircraft Aluminum and Brass, Wood base hides the metal weight.

Last I heard he was having custom jaws made though he also uses Magrini and Stonfo Jaws - I have the Stonfo on mine and had him set it up with the N-1 midge jaw also.

I paid about $250 shipped across the pond for mine. Not sure what he currently has available but I love mine.

Click the image to open in full size.

Just more ideas to put in your head.

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

A couple non flash pictures as well:

Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:08 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Renzetti Presentation 2000 Vise : Cabela's

I have this and it works great.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:06 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe something in the two hundred buck range like those disscussed in the intial thread and the supplies to tie what he's using as an alternative? I mean buying a super vise when he's just starting, then him having to drop some serious cash on fur, feathers thread etc. is a big step. The peak, renzetti or mongoose plus supplies might be a better gift. He can always upgrade vises a few years down the road, but frankly any of those three seem adequate for most of us. Its the materials that get spendy, and unlike a vise there is zero resale value. So get him a good vise, but a ford not a Caddy and give him a a gift card from a good purveoyer of good tying supplies. You don't him stuck with a poor vise, but my last bank statement will attest that supplies add up quick.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the ideas. He started this back in March on his birthday. I bought an estate sale on ebay with vise and lots of tying material and built him a work station. Also Orvis has a buy $50 and get it for $25 so I must have done that at least 4 times so far. I wish they would stop sending me the coupons. This can definitely be an expensive hobby!

I forget the vise that came with the ebay purchase but it's ancient and inexpensive. He has trouble getting a good grip on the hook sometimes and really wants a rotary.

I think at this point he is favoring the peak over the renzetti and mongoose. But then there's the Dyna-King. The other grandparents are getting this vise so I'm off the hook for this. At the moment he's thinking of getting the Dyna-King with grandparents paying $200 and him footing the rest.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:15 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Hey Bolt, how are you doing?

You know what the problem with my Dnya King is? In the twenty some odd years IĎve owned it, I havenít been able to wear it out. So Iíve never needed to buy another. Oh sure, when we had the fly shops Iíd tie on others for demos, etc, but none ever made the trip home. Thatís not to say that the others are anything less than excellent products.
I purchased extra jaws and a forcing cone for it when I first got it, just in case and have never needed them.
Mine is one of the first Professionals to come off of the line when they made the change from a separate up-locking lug below the forcing cone, to just a forcing cone. Circa 1987-89? That was before they offered a rotary.
The weird thing is, they really havenít gone up that much in price in all these years.

This is a long way of saying, that youíve rattled off the names of some fine vises. It would be hard to choose one of those that wouldnít make most people very happy.

Best of luck, TT

Last edited by trout trekker; 11-19-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:48 PM

I found a discussion of Trekker vs Traveler on anther board that he is looking at now.

My concern at the beginning of this fly fishing journey was that he would get bored in a couple of months but that hasn't been the case. We were in Vermont this summer and it seemed to be raining half the time and we were wading up streams in the rain and no complaints from him.

He's been looking at vises for a month now reading everything he can find and using some of his friends vises. He's working hard to make the right decision, realizing that whatever he gets will be with him for a long time!
craigthor likes this.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:53 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

You can't go wrong with any Dyna King model. I have a Prince and I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:28 PM

An update this this thread.

Grandson after much Googling and You Tube watching decided on the Dyna-King Trekker. I found a 10% off coupon so that made it slightly easier to swallow for his father.

We had an early Christmas because of travel plans and he's already tied a number of flies. He was at one of his friends yesterday, they were having a fly tying session.

To say he's happy would be a gross understatement, he loves it, especially the rotary action. One of his friends has a rotary vise but doesn't use that function. Nic is all over that plus the jaws grip the hooks much better than the old vise.

Thanks for the advise guys! I appreciate it.
craigthor likes this.