The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 11:43 PM

nvminer is on a distinguished road
Default Tying with Chukar feathers?

Hey guys,

I had a good day out in the hills and bagged a couple Chukar. After looking at the feathers they seem very similar to those found on a Hungarian Partridge. I am curious if anyone out there ties any flies with Chukar feathers? I am guessing they would work well for soft hackles. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

-Tom
Old 11-25-2013, 12:36 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Tying with Chukar feathers?

Yes, the rump feathers work well, I will link up a couple flies soon from old threads tied with Chukar.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-25-2013, 07:18 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

most feathers on any bird are worthy of something whether it be for soft hackles, tails, wings, throats, wing cases, legs on nymphs even fly bodies providing the fibers are long enough.

be creative. experiment

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 11-26-2013, 10:20 PM

nvminer is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will try a few patterns meant for Partridge feathers to start and move on from there.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:50 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

The feathers with a nice stripe near the end are great for tails on streamers.

Dave
Old 11-27-2013, 12:03 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi & Welcome.
As mentioned any of The Soft Feathers work well as I'm always mucking around with any Feathers & Materials I come across.
I tie an imitation Moth/Caddis Pattern with Snipe & Quail however Chukar would work Quite well.
I Shot them in Alaska on The Tundra a few years back they are also known as Red Grouse in Scotland.
The Pattern.
Hook : 12-14 you could go Smaller
Tail : Brown Hackle Fibres
Tag : Either Fluoro Orange or Green
Body : Cream to Tan
Wings : I use Snipe you can use Chukar
Hackle : I use Quail you can also substitute Chukar.
You can also dose it with a little Floatant to make it float.
You will find it a beaut little Fly which should catch Fish anywhere in The US as I caught Cutthroat on a Fly I Took to The US from Australia.
Brian