The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 11:07 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Minimum camera features to take a fly PIC?

I am trying to take fly tie PICs and they aren't turning out well (extremely burry). Not sure if it's the camera, or perhaps I need different lighting or technique? Here is the camera......

Kodak Easy Share Z915
10X Optical zoom, 10MP
Lense is labeled Kodak Retinar Aspheric 10X Optical Image Stabilized
Probably about 5 years old

I'm not really interested in buying an expensive camera to take pics of flies so hopefully this cam has some potential to get it done.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:23 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Minimum camera features to take a fly PIC?

If it's blurry then make sure the image stabilization (IS) is on. I would also use a mini tripod (Gorillapod) and set the camera to a 2-3 second delay. This will give the camera time to stop vibrating after you hit the shutter button. Also make sure you're not too close and within the min distance for shooting. It should have a F3.5 lens which fast enough to capture the details you want and come out clear. Good luck.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:30 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Look on your camera modes for a flower symbol or "macro" mode. Turn this setting on, and take the picture of your fly from 3-12" away, depending on how your autofocus works. Having a plain colored background will also help the camera find it's subject. DO NOT use the digital zoom feature. That just pixelates your image more.

If you feel the fly is too small in the image, open up Paint, or other simple photo editor and crop the area that you want to showcase.

https://www.google.com/search?q=koda...ient=firefox-a

Click the first link to the PDF here called "KODAK EASYSHARE Z915 Digital Camera" and go to page 13 and 14 for an explanation on how to turn on Macro mode.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:52 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys. I will try your tips. I just noticed it has a reset mode which should take it back to factory settings. My daughter has been using this camera a lot for social media so I have no doubt she jacked with adjustments and possesses no camera expertise. Not that it is a high end camera, but it wasn't 79 bucks either and I thought a 10X optical zoom should have some potential for this.

Also, I am getting in real close, then hitting the zoom. It momentarily looks good on the lcd screen but quickly blurs before I can snap a pic.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:59 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

All you need is a macro setting or a macro zoom setting then use the system I outlined here:

Styrofoam Cup Fly Photography

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-25-2013, 12:49 PM

My flies are supposed to fit in a coffee cup?

J/K I'll try that today. I got the camera in macro mode now. Optical zoom not a bit helpful at this point.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:15 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

go to my blog or GOOGLE and search for "my take on fly photography"

i'm not allowed to post my link on the forum

a light box or whatever else is not needed to take fly photos

read the manual

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 11-25-2013, 01:15 PM

learning2fly will become famous soon enoughlearning2fly will become famous soon enough

If you have a high end smart phone such as a galaxy SIII for iphone5, etc most of these phones are 8 megapixels or more and have macro settings.

Besides that with your camera make sure macro setting is on. If you are in macro setting and your image is still blurry without zoom and youre as close as you can get, try zooming in a little and holding your camera out further away. I use my phone with macro settings and get exceptional macro, detailed, photos. I know your camera is better than my phone so you can do it!

heres a macro pic of two stoney nymphs i took with my phone, then cropped it so they fill almost the whole picture. Now i know the one on the right is a little blurry because it focused on the guitar pick but it works pretty good! Macro setting is a must! Good luck! plus everyone elses advice should get you set just fine!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:43 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

It is nice to have a formal light box for photographing flies. However, when I need to take good photos of flies at a fly tying expo or conclave, I get out my styrofoam cup and clip and use the tiers lamp to get a macro photo of the flies I want to tie later on. You can't do that with a standard light box.

When I demo tie, I have a cup with a larger porthole for the camera lens and I let folks who want photos of my flies to use it to take their own macros with their own cameras.

You can use a larger styrofoam or white plastic cup from the gasoline convenience stores for larger flies. Any cup that diffuses light will work as a mini light box.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-25-2013, 02:20 PM

Thanks to all. Macro, no zoom and the Styrofoam cup trick got me 80% of where I need to be with a couple minutes effort. I only had one cup handy so I will experiment more later using the light I have. Right now I am taking pics with hacked cup holes in the background so I may not be doing it quite right yet. The pics look nearly good enough already.

The fly/cup size comment was more directed at Ted. His musky flies would require a 5 gallon bucket and stadium lighting to use your trick.

Flytire I will check your site for methods.