The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 08:58 AM

thenextlevel is on a distinguished road
Default Vise recommendations

I haven't tied flies in years but am getting the itch to get back into it. I gave all if my tools to my brother years ago and he won't give it back so it looks like I'll be buying new stuff. I used to tie on a basic regal vise and was happy with it but looking at all the options that are available I'm undecided.
I mainly tie flies for muskie and large streamers for trout. So I would need a vice that can hold large hooks. Budget is $300 or less. Thanks for any advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2013, 09:25 AM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Vise recommendations

Is your budget for vise only or Vise and tools?

For vise and tools I would look at the DanVise or Peak Rotary Vise then spend the rest on some nice tools or grab a Dr Slick tool kit. You would still have money left for some materials as well.

If your budget is vise only check out Renzetti Traveler or have a custom one made that will last forever and be something not everyone else has.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:44 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
If your budget is vise only check out Renzetti Traveler
isnt the peak is a bit cheaper?

---------- Post added at 07:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 AM ----------

next level

theres been a few threads on this forum for recommendations on vises. have you searched and read them?

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 11-29-2013, 09:55 AM

torr8966 is on a distinguished road

There are a ton of great vises at that price range! Go to your local fly shop and give them a try! Everyone is different find a vise that suits your needs! Renzetti, Regal, Peak, Dyna King.......all make great products in that price range!!
Old 11-29-2013, 09:57 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Look outside the common names.
J-Vise (seen this one in action. It is a quality piece of kit)
Cottarelli (I own this vise)
Ekich Damasteel (This one is def out of price range)

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-29-2013, 10:01 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I wonder if you could pick up a used Dyna-King Trekker. It's great for big flies.

Randy
Old 11-29-2013, 02:33 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

You might want to read the following review of fly tying vises before you make a decision (Fly Tying Vises In-Depth Review by Fly Fish Ohio!). I found it to be very helpful when I bought my first vise. Even if you don't currently think you need it, definitely consider a rotary vise. That's a very useful feature.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:48 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I really like the Peak and Renzetti Traveler, but I went with the Griffin Mongoose because it would hold large flys without a saltwater set of jaws. I am reasonably happy with it, but I think the Renzettis straigh angled jaws might be better. All three come in at two bills and change.
I got mine LNIB off ebay for $132. I could have picked up a Renzetti, pre-cam for about the same. The Axis Anvil is worth a look to. You won't go wrong with any of those four. Just make sure it will hold muskie sized hooks.

PS As to tools either buy ala carte, which is my suggestion, look at Allen Fly Fishing. Or buy a Cabelas deluxe kit for thirty bucks in their bargain cave. It has every tool you could want, and some you don't for thirty bucks as well as a decent begi˝ners vise, but it isn't the vise you want for muskie. Personally, I'd go to Allen. They have nice scissors, bobbins etc at good prices. And their hooks are half off today. Its eghty seven cents per twenty five if you buy four of the same style and buy today.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:32 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

I've got an HMH Spartan and love it. American made, built like a tank out of tool steel and brass, and great customer service from the company. You can get different sized jaws, including bigger ones for larger flies, but the standard ones will hold pretty much anything. It's not a "true" rotary but is a very well made vise and I don't find I need a true rotary.

For tools you might want to consider the Dr. Slick kit--it has pretty much everything you need for around $60. Cabelas sells them. Dr. Slick scissors are very good indeed.

Scott
fredaevans likes this.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:38 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

It's like a reflex with me, when someone asks what vise to buy, I automatically say - Get a Renzetti Traveler.

After reading your initial post, I caught myself just in time. I'm not sure I'd recommend the Traveler if your going to be tying primarily large flies. I don't tie large often, but when I do, I use a Dyna-King Barracuda. My Barracuda is 25 years old, and it holds large flies rock SOLID. I haven't tie on a recent issue so I'm not sure if that still is or isn't the case.

One thing I would suggest, whatever vise you get, I'd get it with a clamp mount. You need to use a fair amount of thread tension on some of the larger flies, and you don't want your vise sliding around. With a clamp mount, you don't have to worry about it.

You may want to take a look at a Regal with a Big Game Head.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo