The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By williamhj
  • 2 Post By s fontinalis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 07:36 AM

horsehead will become famous soon enoughhorsehead will become famous soon enough
Default Rite Bobbin Learning Curve?

After reading some reviews and seeing some folks tie with the Rite Bobbin I decided to take the plunge and purchase one (especially after finding it for $17 with free shipping and no tax!).

I tied with it last night for the first time and I can tell it's going to take a little getting used to. Previously, I've only ever tied with traditional style bobbins, probably poorly adjusted ones with way too much thread tension at that. So how do you guys that use the Rite Bobbin adjust the thread tension? Not the mechanics, I have that figured out, but about what setting do you keep it at? Any tips for getting comfortable with a bobbin like this? I assume it's just going to take some time at the vise, but thought I'd ask in case someone on here had been in the same boat as me.

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2013, 08:13 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: Rite Bobbin Learning Curve?

You just have to use it and find the tension you like. I bought one and after owning it wouldnt buy again because once you get the "cheaper" bobbins leg tension adjusted, they're fine. Also if you have a hard surface floor around your tying area and drop it, you might break it. It's a good tool, but I think it would be better with a metal tube and a ceramic insert. Just my opinion, tie on.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:32 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't found I've had to fiddle with it much. I tend to load it with the thread I use the most (now have 3) so I'm not changing it out for odd threads I might use. I started with one bobbin, now have many more just to save time I like the feel of the rite bobbin and being able to tweek the tension if needed.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:44 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

for me it depends on the thread.

If you use uni, it has very little stretch compared to davnille fly master which will stretch like crazy (which i like)
You just need to find the sweet spot (everyone's is different) with the Rite Bobbins....i've got 4, i like them, but i also like my regular bobbin.

Eunan
mcnerney and ted4887 like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-05-2013, 09:33 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

ive thought about trying one but i always back away from buying one

i like the simplicity of the tiemco ceramic bobbin holders

easy to adjust the tension by simply tweaking the arms. since most bobbins are the same height, one adjustment seems to fits all

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 12-05-2013, 10:25 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I'm with sfont on finding the "sweet spot". I personally love them and own four of them because of it. Like William, I keep them loaded with my most common threads. I use "regular" ceramic tipped bobbins for my larger stuff, but anything else I use Rite Bobbins on.

I'd just play around with different threads on a bare hook until you find a tension that you're comfortable with. If you put a little pressure on the ends of bobbin, you can apply a little more thread tension too if needed. Once you're comfortable with them, I have to believe that you'll like it. While it might be a little bit more expensive than other bobbins, it really is a nice tool to have. Sort of like Abel Nippers
Old 12-05-2013, 05:33 PM

horsehead will become famous soon enoughhorsehead will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the input guys. I want to put some time in getting familiar with it, but I'm waiting for my new vise to come in the mail. I don't want to spend any more time on the ol' cheapo if I can help it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk