The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 04:32 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Salmon Fly Grub Pattern

Eunan - So what do you do? Do you just hold it over the steam for a short time and then let it dry, put it in a book,??? Wouldn't it return to it's original form once the feather dries, or do you tie it in immediately?
Old 12-09-2013, 11:57 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalensdad View Post
Eunan - So what do you do? Do you just hold it over the steam for a short time and then let it dry, put it in a book,??? Wouldn't it return to it's original form once the feather dries, or do you tie it in immediately?
Hey
sorry for late reply.

Yeah, i just hold it over the steam and use it immediately. Its wont return to its original shape. I've tried to resteam hackles after i've straighten them and they keep the shape they get.

I use this method to tie Stevens style streamers where the feather isnt wrapped.

If you're interested in grubs, you might try the Tippet Grub, its a looker!! Though this one isnt 100% accurate as there should be some little silver tinsel wraps after black hackle in each section.

Click the image to open in full size.
craigthor likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-16-2013, 07:38 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

Eunan,

That's one interesting grub. What did you hackle that with? I haven't had an opportunity to try some steam on my hackles yet. Our coffee pot is an electric kettle and it turns off as soon as it boils. I need to see what else I can use. In the mean time I moved on to Pocono's second tie, the March Brown. Here is my third attempt, wasn't happy with the first 2. I took the second photo from the top because I have some questions. If you look at the tail, the feathers have a slight bend. What do I need to do to compensate for this? Is this another case for steaming or do I need to tie it in differently? Also, the wing is slightly off center (not as much as it seems in the picture). I found it difficult to get the feathers to accordion, even though I used a pinch wrap. Is there a special technique or is it just a matter of practice?

Thanks,
Lee
Hardyreels likes this.