The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 07:35 PM

ctshooter has a spectacular aura aboutctshooter has a spectacular aura about
Default Tying flies you can't use

So after seeing all the cool looking stuff you guys are tying, I'm getting the itch to try some. But in all honesty, for where I can fish, I will never have a use for some of these huge salmon, muskie and salt water flies.

Do any of you tie stuff you know you'll never have a use for just for giggles?

And then what do you do with them? I know the charities can use some, but I only want to do 1 or 2 of most patterns, seeing I'll never get them wet.

I guess cabin fever is setting in early and I'm getting bored.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:07 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tying flies you can't use

I typically tie ones aand twos of the flies for testing. If it is a productive fly I'll tie a few more if not I don't mind cycling it out after trying it at a few places.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:47 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I've always tried to tie flies I would use, even though some were not flies that were meant for fishes in my area.

Did you know that Keys Style Tarpon flies work well on LM bass or Striped Bass?

How about hairwing Salmon or Steelhead flies? Did you know that stream SM bass will hit them? How about the big deerhair flies that those Salmon or Steelhead folks use? Turns out they make excellent bass flies as well!

When I first started tying as a kid, I was fascinated with these types of flies, and even though they were not flies that might typically be used here, I used them anyway.

Since then, I've tried all kinds of flies for the local fishes. Just because a fly is tied for a specific purpose, does not mean that's the only use for it!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-13-2013, 08:56 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

I do tie flies that aren't likely to produce on my local streams. If it's a fly that works outside Iowa driftless, but a good candidate for a Casting for Recovery Donation, I'll often tie more than one.
craigthor likes this.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:14 PM

ctshooter has a spectacular aura aboutctshooter has a spectacular aura about

Let me clarify a little, those flies are as big as the typical fish I catch.

This is a typical hole I fish
Click the image to open in full size.

With a 9' rod you can reach the other bank, and due to health issues, traveling is not really an option.

So it's not like I will be using a salmon fly for bass, I will just never have a use for a salmon fly, they just look cool.
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:38 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Just for sh1ts and giggles -that's why I tie them
rockriver likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-13-2013, 09:53 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter View Post
Let me clarify a little, those flies are as big as the typical fish I catch.
We are the boss of our own vise CT. A lot of guys here tie flies they don't fish much. If I said I wanted to tie maco shark flies for use in Iowa, a fair number of folks here would suggest the best tying thread to use to improve my chances We do encouragement on this forum. It's all about what brings you satisfaction.
craigthor likes this.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

When I was just a kid I started making trout flies but had no way to get to any places to use them. Then all of a sudden I was 23 and I was making Atlantic Salmon flies but lived in Cogan Station PA. quite a long distance from those salmon still. Then came the steelhead flies.............. In 1980 I got on my motorcycle and drove it to Maine and then on to New Brunswick. 1981 I took a six week 11,774 mile ride that put me in the Rockies and the PNW.... Then every year I was off to some far away destination to try the fishing.

I guess what I'm saying is that where there is a will, there is a way. With the Great Lakes salmons and steel head populations none of us are really too far away from a place to try whatever we tie. I still have some of those Atlantic Salmon flies circa 1978 - 79, and I've used them here in Alaska, who woulda thought it........

Tie whatever you want and always keep a dream tucked away for yourself.

Ard
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-14-2013, 06:48 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I tie for any thing that swims, one thing it teaches us another style of tying. I would tie for a whale if I knew what to use...
craigthor likes this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-14-2013, 08:46 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Never say CANT

Whatever I tie for trout that don't work I'll just throw them at bluegills. They'll inhale just about anything!

That's a really tiny stream for a 9 foot rod!

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/