The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 12:36 AM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice
Default Re: Big fly materials questions

What you want to start is some bucktail in chartreuse, brown,and white. Some marabou, some rabbit strips, cut length wise, not cross wise, lead dumb bell eyes and # 6-#1/0 hooks. If you want to make poppers or gurglers you'll need deer body hair, but for streamers bucktail and rabbit and marbou will give you a good start. Clousers are your friend. I also use a streamer in size six or four with a peackock herl or green floss body, and a white marabou wing and a green bucktail over wing, tied sparsely. Just that simple. It works very well on small, and not so small bass, no clue on pike. Basically any salt water or bass streamer should work. Just get the size and color right for where you are fishing. Pay attention to your local minnows. As for the articulated flies you are on your own.

But if you're after muskies and want to freak out the neighbors? Come spring time tie up some big 3/0 ball of yellow deer hair and marabou as a duckling fly. It works on large mouths and it should for pike. Plus its kind of amusing.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:09 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

The big flies seem to be covered well. From my experience, grab what you think is big enough, then do more. It will end how you picture it.

For a connection, I use 7 strand beadlon from the craft stores. Its 8 bucks for 100ft. Its going to last me a while.

Sculpins are a very local thing. They will vary in color from stream to stream even in the same region. I've even seen them change colors from one part of the river to the next.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 12-15-2013, 07:12 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I know we like to use our own flies whenever possible but for salmon and trout here I will have plenty of flies. I could begin telling you a materials list but it can run into a serious amount of money until you have everything, trust me on that one, I know.

I'll spend a lot of time over the winter tying Sculpins, Intruders (large & small) tube flies and standard trout and salmon flies. For the pike, the Sculpin minnows and leech's are very good too. The lake and the creeks are full of both. I caught a few fish late in the year, August - September on a large white bunny fur strip fly, but early on, June & July all I used was a Whitlock Sculpin in brown
I was 99% certain that was going to be your reply Ard. Fair enough for the Salmon and trout flies. I suspect most of what I will be using in Alaska won't be of much use here so I will use yours. Pike and bass streamers is a skill I need to acquire as I will chase them in IA some, but mostly in MN where Ted can give me good advice. They smack outrageous attractor colors here. I intend to test some of them in Alaska, and likewise I will be throwing some of your more natural sculpin styles you prefer back here. Testing different patterns than the local favorites make this more fun for me.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:39 PM

bigpikeflies is on a distinguished road

There will be a couple of us tying big flies at the February Hawkeye Fly show in Cedar Rapids.
ia_trouter and craigthor like this.

Formerly Gar
Old 12-17-2013, 01:47 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpikeflies View Post
There will be a couple of us tying big flies at the February Hawkeye Fly show in Cedar Rapids.
Thanks for the info and your blog is nice.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:27 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

We'll have to go D
Old 12-17-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
We'll have to go D
Yes, it is the annual meeting for our state FFF
Old 12-17-2013, 05:52 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

I also have family in town we might be able to crash there for the weekend so no costs to stay.