The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 04:22 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Swap box

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post
Personally, I like the way it was originally proposed. However, I think people need to be in the right frame of mind to make it work. In my mind this is for fun and to see what kind of interesting stuff shows up. This is not a bargain shopping trip where one hopes to pull out a $20 item and then replace it with a $5 item. To be successful everyone needs to put some thought into trying to pay it forward so to speak.

If we don't know or trust one another maybe the way to "police it" would be a variation on the list in the box idea. A "where's Stanley" thread with the beginning inventory when it arrives at the next stop the member posts "I took out X and added Y. If you want to be surprised don't read the thread until you receive the box.
I like the original idea too. I don't think the complication of an inventory is truly necessary with this forum, but would certainly play if those are the rules. How it starts is my question. Somebody has to front it with quite a bit of stuff for this to be worthwhile for the first few guys who receive it. I think the box will get better as it goes forward. And I agree with the pay it forward mindset. I pull a nice item, I replace it with something similar or better. We may need more than one box if there is considerable interest as well so it isn't a three month wait before you get to play.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:43 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

That's how the box works though... Multiple boxes complicates things and increases chance of losing one... It becomes a long time frame deal... 12 people x 3-5 days shipping + 1-2 days of dealing/shipping box... It's really about a week per person... So yeah... 3 months minimal before the box would make it full circle... That's considering no snags...

I can start the first one... Let's do a start day of Jan 2nd? Let all the holiday madness play through...
Old 12-17-2013, 06:43 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post

I can start the first one... Let's do a start day of Jan 2nd? Let all the holiday madness play through...
I just came from the post office and I can agree with that. 20 people in line before me.
itchmesir likes this.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:46 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Sounds good Itch, and perhaps you can plan out the route after you find out who is playing. Box probably doesn't need to go coast to coast every week.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:18 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

1. Swapmeister announces the swap and its intentions. Swapmeister prepares the swap box with items to be swapped. How many items goes in the box is up to the Swapmeister. Swapmeister decides how many swappers in the swap

2. Swappers sign up for the swap and that becomes the order of where the swap box goes out.

3. Swapmeister sends out the box to the first swapped on the swap list.

4. First swapper receives the box and removes a limit of 5 items from the box but must replaces the quantity of items with the same amount removed. Swapper removes any address labels and postage from the box and addresses it to the next swapped on the list and sends it out.

5. Swappers repeat this simple process until the Swapmeister receives the box to complete the swapping cycle.

One box is all that's needed unless it gets too bad to keep sending out. If it does get so bad the swapper who gets it can go out and get a new $1.50 box.

This swap doesn't have to be complicated.
craigthor likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 12-17-2013, 07:34 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I'll be starting a new thread to announce the swap box shortly after the holidays once I get the box rounded up.
craigthor likes this.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:31 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough
Lightbulb Re: Swap box

I just recieved a fairly long, lifetime supply of peacock herl, I didn't bring home one of the 55 gal. barrels of peacock feathers but only enough to tie a few thousand flies so I have plenty to swap.also I have been gifted some nice fur coat fur from a friend up in Alaska which should be in my possession shortly after the first of the year.

I'll be glad to share and swap.

buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory
Old 12-18-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
I just recieved a fairly long, lifetime supply of peacock herl, I didn't bring home one of the 55 gal. barrels of peacock feathers but only enough to tie a few thousand flies so I have plenty to swap.also I have been gifted some nice fur coat fur from a friend up in Alaska which should be in my possession shortly after the first of the year.

I'll be glad to share and swap.

buzz
Send the box to Buzz right before me Itch. Thought I had a lifetime supply of peacock and then I used half of it in 3 months. Haven't seen too many wet flies that couldn't use some peacock herl.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:08 PM

You can never have too much herl.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:24 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough

I can always go back and drag one of the 55 gal barrels home!

seriously , I got plenty material to share

buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory