The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 11:24 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Swap box

Anyone ever done such a thing? ctshooter's thread of exchanging feathers for random items sparked the idea...

I've been in a few... They are hit and miss... They get lost... Stolen... Forgotten about... But when successful are pretty fun.

What happens is I would fill a small flat rate box with a handful of fly tying materials that I don't use or have extra of... And ship it off to the next guy... Next guy takes the box... Pulls a couple items of interest and replaces them with other materials... And ships the box to the next member... Within a day or two... And it's completed when the box returns to me... Then another person can start a box...

Interested? If there's enough interest I'll start one up. would like no more than a dozen folks... It takes a lot to successfully complete one of these. Would prefer to stick to CONUS members first time around to make things quick and less likely to get lost...
Hardyreels, fishiowa and ctshooter like this.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Swap box

A neat idea, I think we had one a few years ago, maybe 4 or more years.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-15-2013, 06:57 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like fun. I'd join in.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:36 PM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about

That idea sounds like it would be fun. I would be interested in joining one.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:37 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

i have been in these types of swaps on other fly tying forums and from my experience, by the time the box made it to me, most of the good stuff (if there was any) was gone and replaced by some truely awful tying materials. i just couldnt take anything out of that box but i did supply it with some quality tying materials for the next tyer on the list.

i am not saying that would happen here, but i would not be interested in this type of swap

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 12-16-2013, 01:02 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

After seeing the frequently generosity of others on this forum, I could see it working out here. Priority flat rate boxes are not nearly as cheap as they used to be. A large envelope might work better because it goes by weight. Just a thought, perhaps I am wrong.

Participants would need to understand a small quantity of good materials is a lot better than a half a bag of trash we should be throwing away. I don't think that would be a problem around here at all.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:38 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Well as long as a box under 4# is used... A non flat rate box is still relatively cheap... Think it cost me $7-8 to ship a reel the day... Envelope is fine as well though if $8 is too much... I know some folks can be strapped for cash and every dollar counts

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
i have been in these types of swaps on other fly tying forums and from my experience, by the time the box made it to me, most of the good stuff (if there was any) was gone and replaced by some truely awful tying materials. i just couldnt take anything out of that box but i did supply it with some quality tying materials for the next tyer on the list.

i am not saying that would happen here, but i would not be interested in this type of swap
I think "good stuff" could be subjective as maybe it was just stuff you didn't need...

Clearly I'm not expecting half capes or saddles, gamakatsu hooks, nor am I really looking for much in return... I'm sure we all have a multitude of tying supplies we've bought for one pattern we either tied a couple flies with and then they were never used again... Or found stuff we thought we'd use... With pp fees and shipping costs it's worthless to post them... Might as well share the wealth...

This is not for people who decide to put $20 worth of materials in a box only to expect to take $20 worth of materials out of it... I'm not interested in types that would feel putting a dollar in the salvation army bucket grants them something in return...

Also an ongoing inventory list can be kept... It's always interesting to see what's been put in and taken out
Old 12-16-2013, 04:56 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Itch

What actually hadn't occurred to me is the shipper can make his own call how it goes forward since this isn't time sensitive. I can send a non flat rate box to MN for cheap. To California the box better be small. I just mentioned it because shipping costs have really escalated. This stuff is obviously very light and that helps. Maybe it's not even an issue at all.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:57 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Another way to do this is similar to how Fly Swaps are done.

Get a set number of people to agree to participate, say 12... each person makes up 12 envelopes of what they have to "share" and sends one to each person on the list.

You'll end up receiving 11 envelopes of goodies... the postage will likely be relatively inexpensive, and you can ooh and ahhh at what you receive!

I think this is better than everyone sending a package of 13 envelopes to a SwapMeister who then makes up 12 packages and then re-transmits them to each participant.

Everyone has the same level of effort and cost, everyone gets packages from everyone else. As long as there are no International participants (Canadians excepted) there won't be any concerns about what can and can't get sent across borders.

Just another thought....
popperfly and craigthor like this.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:50 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Personally, I like the way it was originally proposed. However, I think people need to be in the right frame of mind to make it work. In my mind this is for fun and to see what kind of interesting stuff shows up. This is not a bargain shopping trip where one hopes to pull out a $20 item and then replace it with a $5 item. To be successful everyone needs to put some thought into trying to pay it forward so to speak.

If we don't know or trust one another maybe the way to "police it" would be a variation on the list in the box idea. A "where's Stanley" thread with the beginning inventory when it arrives at the next stop the member posts "I took out X and added Y. If you want to be surprised don't read the thread until you receive the box.