The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 01:40 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Thinning out soft hackle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_nymph_rig View Post
I am using hungarian partridge, that is correct feather to use for soft hackle right?
Well yes and no.

Hungarian partridge is just one of many game birds that can be used for soft hackles.

Basically any legal bird has feathers that can be used for soft hackles

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Quote:
also, I remember someone saying something about a website or article that was written that helps with choosing the proper size hackle for the fly.
Please try doing a GOOGLE search for "feathers used for soft hackles" and "understanding feathers" and you will find some results for what you are asking about

Read this also

Hen and Gamebird hackle

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 12-15-2013, 02:01 PM

changler will become famous soon enoughchangler will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Thinning out soft hackle?

Quote:
I am using hungarian partridge, that is correct feather to use for soft hackle right? also, I remember someone saying something about a website or article that was written that helps with choosing the proper size hackle for the fly. can anybody help me out with where I can find that info.
Partridge works well, as will any webby bird feather. I like using the neck and saddle feathers of hen chickens, as they seem to come in a wider variety of colors and sizes. But partridge, chukar, grouse, snipe, woodcock and other small upland game bird feathers are all commonly used.