The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By flytire
  • 2 Post By planettrout
  • 1 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 09:39 AM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default When tying midges, how many don't follow a pattern?

Just curious who just ties whatever they feel like at the time. Since midges do not very all that often, I often times just start tying and whatever comes to mind, I lay down on the hook. Some of my midges have tails, some don't, most have beads, some don't. Am I the only one that basically wings it when it comes to midges, or do you guys set out to tie a certain pattern every time?
Old 12-15-2013, 10:03 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: When tying midges, how many don't follow a pattern?

I do both. Tie by a recipe and do whatever I want. It's just fly tying
mcnerney likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 12-15-2013, 12:24 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

What flytire said. except for one thing - Midges do not have tails...emerging pupa and crippled adults have shucks...

Click the image to open in full size.

PT/TB
mcnerney and kglissmeyer1 like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Last edited by planettrout; 12-15-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what Flytire and PT said!

Larry

Old 12-15-2013, 01:34 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

ok, so they don't have tails. I am not sure what you would call it then, maybe someone can help me out. I have been tying a single strand of pearl monoflash in where you would normally tie a tail. I have seen them on other patterns, so I figured I would try putting some in for a little extra flash.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:50 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I know what you meant, but like said no tail. Trailing shuck
Old 12-15-2013, 02:30 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

The single strand of flash is used to represent a trailing shuck not a tail

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 12-15-2013, 02:55 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Most midge emerger patterns are traditional "suspender patterns" that suspend the fly in a vertical orientation with the hook eye up and the bend down. This is the way a mayfly emergers by placing the thorax wing pads of of the nymph into the film and breaking through the film with the nymphal shuck trailing behind.

However, this is not how midge pupa orient themselves during emergence. They form a flattened "U" shape with the head and tail of the pupa in the film and the body hanging below. The traditional suspender pattern cannot match the the hanging "U". See the video below at about 1 minute 35 seconds into the video to see the actual hanging pupa. Notice that the reflection in the mirror forms a characteristic oval appearance of the hanging pupa.

One fly that can duplicate this appearance is the Roy Christie Avon Special Emerger or a variation of Roy's fly.

You can do a Google search for Roy's fly or click on Here to see the pattern.

You can click on Simplified Version to see an easier version that Roy has tied that should be very effective.

I do not fish midges much in the slow clear waters where this fly would make the difference. However, I think it would be deadly since most anglers do not know of this fly and it would be new to the fish.

Here's discussion about midge emergers on another list. Please remove if not allowed.

The Cripple Pattern, magic or what? | Page 2 | Washington Fly Fishing
pm287 likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-15-2013, 05:20 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

My answer is not as scientific, or educated , but I do try to stick to the mantra of throw them something they dont see every day all day long. So for some patterns like Barr Emerger, JuJubee midge I will stick to the recipe. Some flies like a disco midge there isnt much you can switch other than body/thorax colors.

For flies like RS2, I mix it up a tad and put my own flavor on it. Ive posted the pick alot. I tie my RS2 in black with very slim body, hot orange wire wrap in X-SM and use orange Antron vs white CDC for the (whatever you call it that sticks up...having a brain fart)

For Pheasant tails I use the Franks Flashy which is a variation of the original and its a deadly weapon. Ive also had great success with a "regular" Pheasant tail pattern but use red PT and white CDC for the legs instead of the PT fibers.

Seems to work for me, but really either way. Tried and true patterns are that for a reason, but if you put a tweak on it and it works, roll with it.