The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 09:23 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Stripped Peacock quill alternative?

thanks everyone for the suggestions

Silver.. I'll have to see if I can find some of that.. one more thing to play with

Moose mane.. funny how you forget about the old materials.. haven't used that since the mosquito was my go to dry fly .. it is a nice look
Old 12-16-2013, 04:11 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Click the image to open in full size.
dean_mt and craigthor like this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 12-16-2013, 10:53 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Another way to get an alternating striped appearance is to use the two techniques of tying a Jujubee Midge below. If you coat the body with a clear finish you get a similar appearance to the Flytire's image above.

You can wrap alternating synthetic materials of different colors. You can get different widths by using more or less of one material.

Of you can overwrap the alternating stripe over the under layer of a contrasting color

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-16-2013, 12:23 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Great stuff guys, I had never seen all those alternative materials. I really like the look of that spooled stuff Silver Creek shared.

Dave: I assume it is the flat body you want, have you considered turkey or goose biots? It will not have the quite the color contrast variegation but they are nice and smooth with some variation. Depending on how you orient the quill when you tie in you can get either smooth or ribbed...goose are short and quite nice on small flies, turkey for larger.

pszy22 likes this.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:50 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

biots are tied on 2 ways: the notch at the butt end of the biot faces the eye or the notch faces the bend of the hook. the notch toward the eye gives you the result shown above and the notch toward the bend gives you the result shown below.

the notch

pszy22 likes this.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:54 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

We're out of bleach... on the list

I think the biots are going to be the way to go for now, I'll do some both ways, smooth and with the barbs (not sure if that's the right term) showing..
Old 12-17-2013, 07:28 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I was going to suggest turkey rounds (biots) as I see some other folks had already suggested them. I've been using turkey biots for dry fly bodies whenever possible for the past 10 years or so and have nothing but good things to say about them. They come in a rainbow of pre-dyed colors and are cheap. Can't ask for more than that.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

Last edited by pszy22; 12-17-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:37 AM

i use turkey biots because they are longer than goose biots, thus making them a little easier to handle.

colors are an added bonus

Old 12-17-2013, 12:02 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

If you're using typical turkey biots the grey/white variegated color accepts dye well and as you wrap them, you get a real interesting body. Similar to comments from others, pre-wrap the hook shank with a light material and start with a smooth base to allow you to get the color as dyed, dry or wet.

You can also put a VERY light coat of head cement on the base to make the fly more durable, which I prefer to coating it after wrapping, because you get an unnatural 'gleam' or 'gloss' to the body.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:15 PM

got some bleach and did one eye.. total for me was about 4+ minutes, not sure if that'll make the quills too brittle in the long run

The biots were just too wide for this fly, the bleached quills look perfect