The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 02:01 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: dubbing wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
I've never tried dubbing wax and often wondered if it's worth buying. If you want tacky, why not try a wax toilet bowl ring? . You'll get a lifetime supply for only a couple bucks.
the toilet ring is an option but there would be just too much for the little amount i would use. most of it would probably end up drying out by the time i would be ready to break of another piece and would have to be thrown away.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 12-16-2013, 02:11 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

I make my own, I mostly use it for thread wax, This is the recipe I use
Hardyreels and mridenour like this.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:46 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

I need to order one of those wax sticks.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:10 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

What?...You didn't plan ahead?

Click the image to open in full size.

...and my Grandson gets the other full tube...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 12-16-2013, 05:32 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Hi grandpa!

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 12-16-2013, 05:39 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I use SPG black powder bullet lube for black powder cartridge rifles,,ie,,Sharps etc.

It's odorless to 'me' anyways. And I catch trout ,so....

I could share a little bit if someone wanted to try it.
Mike
Old 12-16-2013, 05:55 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

Three Rivers Archery Bow string makers wax !! Works great is sticky, they use this to make Flemish strings.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:13 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I have always used wax, of course, I don't do a loop either, just wax the thead and twirl it on. I use parrafin, currently a tube of Wapsi, but hell chapstick will do. I think something stickier like tallow would be great.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:59 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a DIY guy on this stuff either. I think I'm using Veinard right now that I had bought from Great Feathers. Check there or Feathers MC for cobbler's wax.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:36 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
I've never tried dubbing wax and often wondered if it's worth buying. If you want tacky, why not try a wax toilet bowl ring? . You'll get a lifetime supply for only a couple bucks.
excellent idea
buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory