The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 04:52 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Starter Streamer Patterns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Thanks guys think I will have to order some materials, digging through a couple of old driftless area books there was mention of a Black Ghost in size 12 so I need to source some hackle to tie one up.
what DA books are you reading craigthor?
craigthor likes this.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:55 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Ross Muellers books on fishing in the Driftless, they were printed back in the mid 90s and I've kept them around even though I wasn't fly fishing for 90% of that time. Great books with lots of references and fly choices.
buddhist_palm likes this.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:01 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Ross Muellers books on fishing in the Driftless, they were printed back in the mid 90s and I've kept them around even though I wasn't fly fishing for 90% of that time. Great books with lots of references and fly choices.
thanks ill check that out

thurstons spring creek treasures is also a good read

Click the image to open in full size.

though he is pictured fly fishing he seems to spin fish mostly

even still its great local info

also fly fishers guide to iowa and wisconsin by molitov i believe
craigthor likes this.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:54 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Basic rabbit strip flies work well for most any species. They consist of a rabbit strip tail, and a wrapped body of rabbit strip. Most use cross-cut rabbit for the body, but straight cut can be used too. You can add some flash into the tails too if you like, and they can be weighted, either with wrapped wire (lead or non-lead as you like), cone or bead heads, or barbell eyes /bead chain eyes which can cause them to ride inverted like a Clouser Minnow.

Many options for tying them, particularly with all the color options that rabbit strips are available in! Plus, the style of fly works well to imitate many prey species, from baitfishes, to crawfish to leeches.

These are all rather large, but the basics are the same!

A bit more involved with materials, but not difficult to tie!

Another simple streamer I like & have used a lot is this one: Clouser Minnow style leech pattern tied with ostrich herl, and a bit of flashabou (copper, bronze, black, or gold). Tie it full, as it slims down a lot.
Hardyreels and fq13 like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-17-2013, 07:47 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

slumpbusters and simi seal leaches are both easy to tie.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:51 PM

smarty140 is on a distinguished road

I've had some luck in SE MN with standard streamer patterns like Muddlers and of course buggers, but also with smaller Galloup Sx Dungeons - just use size 6 or 8 hooks instead of the standard 2 or 4. I love the articulated streamers!

There was an article in one of the bigger fly fishing or fly tying magazines this spring/summer about "micro streamers" for smaller streams and rivers... unfortunately I can't remember exactly which one - American Angler, Flyfisherman, or Fly Tyer probably...

ryan
craigthor likes this.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:09 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Heavy hooks, beads and light tippets are your friends to help get them down, at least in warm water. I'd rather lose a fish due to too light a tippet than not catch one because the fly rode too high. Same with dressing. Sparce sinks better.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:47 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhist_palm View Post
just googled these

gnarly!
Yeah, I just googled it also. I am a leechnatic.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:06 AM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys, after checking out the simi seal video I may have to get some of that to make a few things out of as well.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:16 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Thanks guys, after checking out the simi seal video I may have to get some of that to make a few things out of as well.
Craig,
One more leech pattern that you can easily tie is the Pine Squirrel bead head.
I tie them from size #12 midge tiemco hooks to #8 orvis streamer hooks, Orvis 1/8" size bead head, and Orvis Gold Tinsel. Just cut 2.5" for the tail and the body, super easy. Very effective for trouts in my clear stillwater mountain lake.

here to find the Squirrel.
Micro Pine Squirrel Zonker Strips

good luck.