The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 06:58 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold
Default Simi Seal Leech Patterns

I have some new materials and am tying a few. I have a few questions. I am using Wapsi brand Angora goat and have viewed the Rohmer video.

1. What is your favorite way to add a little flash?

2. Tail options?

3. If you use a dubbing loop, how long? On my first attempt I ran out of material tying on a #10 3XL nymph/streamer hook. First time I used a dubbing loop and I like it. I struggle with other dubbing methods I have tried so far.

4. If anyone has a PIC of a favorite variation please feel free to share.

thanks
craigthor likes this.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:27 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Simi Seal Leech Patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
I have some new materials and am tying a few. I have a few questions. I am using Wapsi brand Angora goat and have viewed the Rohmer video.

1. What is your favorite way to add a little flash?

2. Tail options?

3. If you use a dubbing loop, how long? On my first attempt I ran out of material tying on a #10 3XL nymph/streamer hook. First time I used a dubbing loop and I like it. I struggle with other dubbing methods I have tried so far.

4. If anyone has a PIC of a favorite variation please feel free to share.

thanks
Either a bit of Ice Dub,Sow Scud, or Antron Dubbing. Also, Antron can make a nice tail depending on how long you want it. As for a dubbing loop no idea I just dub straight to thread.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:41 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Craig, it's an easy pattern for me to tie and get pretty close to right on the first pass or two. I'll have to fight the temptation to not tie dozens of them before I figure out what colors are best around here.

I am going to stick with the dubbing loop for now. Goes on MUCH more uniformly for me.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:44 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Ck. these out:

Rickard's Emerging Bugger

SBS instructions are under the photo at top of the page...just click. This is a great pattern !

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 12-20-2013, 07:47 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thanks Craig, it's an easy pattern for me to tie and get pretty close to right on the first pass or two. I'll have to fight the temptation to not tie dozens of them before I figure out what colors are best around here.

I am going to stick with the dubbing loop for now. Goes on MUCH more uniformly for me.
Black, dark brown and olive should work well around here.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
Ck. these out:

Rickard's Emerging Bugger

SBS instructions are under the photo at top of the page...just click. This is a great pattern !

PT/TB
For what species?

And I wasn't clear, I am tying these for driftless trout, and warm water species too.

I have goat fur in black, burnt orange and olive, but I can spice it up with other stuff.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:21 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I tie my Simi Seals with the real deal. Tail is constructed with a clump of Simi seal straightened out... It also has more than enough flash mixed in so I never add any.

I use a 200R #6(3xl curved, straight eye) and coneheads and .030 lead wraps.

Dubbing brush is usually 4-6"

Blood Leech, Black, and Gold Holo work the best for me.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:47 PM

Thanks Itch, your's appear quite a bit larger than what I am playing with tonight. My tails are nowhere near that large and flowing as I just followed a video for starters. Mine look more like a very fuzzy wooly, and probably panfish-smallish bass appropriate. But that's OK, just getting used to working with the stuff without killing all my materials the first day.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:55 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
For what species?

And I wasn't clear, I am tying these for driftless trout, and warm water species too.

I have goat fur in black, burnt orange and olive, but I can spice it up with other stuff.
The pattern is mainly for Trout in still and moving water. It was originated by this guy:

Fly-Fishing Stillwaters for Trophy Trout: Denny Rickards: 9780965645805: Amazon.com: Books Fly-Fishing Stillwaters for Trophy Trout: Denny Rickards: 9780965645805: Amazon.com: Books

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 02-17-2014, 06:19 PM

I'm back on the simi seal leech kick and going to tie up the variations Planet Trout posted. #8-10 seems to be popular. Has anyone found success with larger or smaller leeches? If so, what species? I intend to target many species with these.