The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 02:12 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice
Default Re: What patterns drive you nuts?

Anything Anything!!! smaller than A 16 my fingers and eyes don't work like they use to. I rarely fish anything smaller than a 16 anyway
Old 12-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've made a lot of flies in my time as a fisherman. Big flies, tiny flies, flies that were super realistic and plenty of Bi Visible for brookies that are as simple as they get. I always liked the pattern The Irresistible but when you get down to a tiny spun body you need the right deer hair and a very deft touch. I can still tie about any fly I choose to make but I avoid married wings. I can do this but the amount of time spent building a wing can all become a waste if the wing blows up when you go to fasten it onto the hook.

It can be quite frustrating and is the reason you don't find many of these in my boxes.
coug likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-21-2013, 02:53 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I can't actually say any of them now "Drive me Nuts" to Tie as I've spent heaps of time figuring out how to Tie some of them before The Videos came around.

I might be a Slow learner however after many years I only now Tie The Flies I use as it's a waste of time tying Flies which are seldom used & believe me I've Tied plenty of them even though from time to time they have caught Fish they just crowd Fly Boxes & take up Space.
I'm still finding Flies I tied when I used to Buy Trout & Fisherman which I first bought in 1986 with Brian Peterson on The Cover Trout & Salmon Fly Fisherman & others as I Tied many new Flies which were featured.
Brian
Old 12-21-2013, 03:08 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Humpies
Then microfibet tails. Tried every trick in the world to get them to splay perfect. Now I'm in the mood to tie some RS2"s. Say it ain't so.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:42 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Jimmie likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 12-22-2013, 01:23 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

I still struggle to get wings on traditional wet flys correct. After a lot of practice, reading about it and watching them being tied, mine still don't look that great.
I know the fish don't care, but it's something I still struggle with to get consistent results
Old 12-22-2013, 04:10 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Generally,I hate to work with deer hair,specially roe deer ..not my stuff!
Always hate that trimming and small pieces of waste flying in every possible direction there are
But,I do make them,thousands of them