The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 06:43 PM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice
Default Tying lessons

Hey guys,
I sent an e-mail to a local fly shop about fly tying lessons. This particular shop is offering lessons privately for $25.00/hr minimum 2 hrs. With that being said, I know that hands on is better than videos and trial and error. Is $25/hr reasonable and what should I expect to learn within 2 hrs?
Thanks in advance guys I know you you will guide me in the right direction.

Glen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 12-21-2013, 07:01 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tying lessons

Hard to say but I would look for a local fly fishers group. Not that it wouldn't be money well spent but you could invest that money into materials. If you were closer I would say stop on by with your tools.

Do you know what you want to tie, if they don't teach you techniques for what you want to learn the money would be a waste at the current time.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:07 PM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice

He mentioned all the patterns that he teaches and is open to teaching what what the client wants. He has a 264 page tying book with step by step instructions. The name of the place is Wiley's flies located in Ray brook NY. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:10 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Hard to say but I would look for a local fly fishers group. .......
Here's what our club's class schedule looks like
6 classes, 50 bucks for non-member
Taught by professional tyers
That would be the Cabela's in East Hartford CT if anybody is interested
Quote:
CFFA fly tying classes at Cabela's begin Jan. 9th and run 6 consecutive Thursdays. Cost for this course is $30 for kids 16 and under, $50 for Non-Members and $40 for CFFA members. Students must register by phoning Richard Gilligan at 860-839-2070. If you need additional information please contact Richard.

FRESH WATER PATTERNS:

Jan. 9th.- Class 1; Streamers: Wooly Bugger & White Marabou Streamers

Jan. 16th-Class 2; Nymphs: Tellico Nymph & Gold Ribbed Hare’s Ear Nymph

Jan. 23th-Class 3; Wet Flies: Dark Cahill & Turkey Tail Soft Hackle

Jan. 30th-Class 4; Dry Flies; Blue Wing Olive & Light Cahill

Feb. 6 th- Class 5: Dry Flies: Poly Wing Spinner & Elk Hair Caddis

Feb. 13th-Class 6: Terrestrials: Parachute Ant & Deer Hair Bug
Old 12-21-2013, 07:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Glen: $25/hr doesn't seem too bad, but I'd look around a bit to see if there is a local fly fishing club, TU Chapter or FFF Chapter that offers tying lessons.

Larry

Old 12-21-2013, 07:18 PM

Thanks guys. I did not mention it but this is The price for one on one lessons not a group. If that makes a difference.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:22 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzarboni View Post
Thanks guys. I did not mention it but this is The price for one on one lessons not a group. If that makes a difference.

You can be shown a lot in 2 hours but how much will you retain? If you are great at remembering all the details and steps that might be the way to go otherwise learning in smaller steps would be better as you could add new techniques as you go.
gzarboni likes this.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:03 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Rip Tides club is very similar to my clubs schedule. You are usually sent home each week with enough material to tie extra flies for practice so it's well worth the cost.
My personal experience with the first hour or two learning to tie was spent rethreading my bobbin as did many others. IMO a group setting is fine. You still get one on one time.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:45 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

I would think the one on one would be more beneficial to a someone with a bit of experience. Then you could go in with a list and do more of a trouble shooting type lesson i.e. on this fly my proportions seem off; I'm having trouble wrapping this type of hackle or my parachutes suck. Agree with others that group lessons or a club setting would be fine for learning the basics.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:33 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Check with your local shops. Jimmy's All Season Anglers, where I live, offers free fly tying demos/lessons on Saturdays at 10 AM all winter long.
It's a good way to draw people in when it's cold out, and it builds customer loyalty.
You may find something similar close to home, at a shop, club, or even community college.