The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 8 Post By horsehead
  • 1 Post By mikel
  • 1 Post By siege
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By Eddie O'Neill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 09:17 PM

horsehead will become famous soon enoughhorsehead will become famous soon enough
Default Christmas Present for My Parents

My mom and dad are my main fishing buddies (and I'm 30 years old!) and I'm very happy to have them along with me as often as possible. I've only been tying for about 6 months and thought it would be a nice gift for them if I could put together a small box for each one of them (emphasis on small!)... So here are the results. It took a lot longer than I thought, but I'm still pretty new to this.

I've included the following
1. Stimulator
2. Griffith's Gnat
3. Elk Hair Caddis
4. Egg
5. San Juan Worm
6. Bead head soft hackle
7. Sulphar soft hackle
8. Pheasant tail nymph
9. Copper John
10. Cap Spider (a panfish fly)
11. Wooly Bugger

Click the image to open in full size.

They're definitely not perfect, but hopefully they'll fool a few fish and put a smile on my parent's faces once or twice.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:21 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Christmas Present for My Parents

You're a good son
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:37 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Well done. Those flies will mean a lot more to your parents then if you had just gone out and bought them.
I am sure they will appreciate the labor and the love that went in to making them.
You are fortunate to share a pastime with your parents, and vice versa. Enjoy the time you can spend together !
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:29 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Christmas Present for My Parents

Can't use names here ... they read the board I think. But most fly tieing is now behind me (shakie hands - "Parkinson's" sucks) but a 'gift box' like the above is a great thing.

Have two boxes to turn over for Prezzies with all the flies tied for me in the UK. Sounds a bit odd to get them from 6,000 away, but the Fellows will purchase 'something' here in the US and I'll trans-ship.

Last box receipt was Friday. For an off set of postage the Fellow will tie me up a bunch of trout/Atlantic flies and ... personal opinion here .... I come out on the Winner of the Deal. People beat on the Postal Service (here and there) but over the years there has NEVER been a delivery miss.

UK can be a bit different as Postal will not leave it on your front porch, have no idea what their mail boxes look like. mine has a 'lock box' (Dozens of mail slots for the neighborhood). 'Box' will go into a separate 'lock box' and Posties put the key in your slot.

UK and you're not home, they will knock on neighbor's door and deliver the 'package.' Neighbor will hand same over when you get home from work.

fae
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:32 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Speaking as a parent, I know you gift will mean the world to your parents. there is nothing better than a gift from the heart (and your fingers).

p.s. You did a great job on the flies.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

Last edited by pszy22; 12-22-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:19 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the others, well done, as you said they are not perfect, but then there aren't many tiers here that tie perfect flies (me included), but who cares it is the thought that counts. Your parents will love the thought and the work you put into each of those flies and they will definitely catch fish. Congrats!

Larry

Old 12-22-2013, 08:39 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

I think just about everybody remembers that first fly and fish...now your mom and dad can add a memory. First fly and fish caught with a fly my son tied !

Little things from their kids mean a lot to moms and pops.

You did good.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:14 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

What an awesome Christmas gift. I cherish the time spent fishing with my Dad. If the time comes your parents are not able to fish with you, keep track of those boxes. Trust me they will be thousand dollar fly boxes to you some day.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:13 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post

UK can be a bit different as Postal will not leave it on your front porch, have no idea what their mail boxes look like.

fae
Like this Fred, a typical U.K. Letter box, on the front door. No where to leave packages

Click the image to open in full size.
kcjerryd likes this.