The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 10:29 AM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: bead substitute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjoni View Post
Well said Silver and very true.
But,there is another side of fishing and those are rules in some countries.
It is illegal to ad any extra weight like split shots in some lands,and on competitions...not to mention strike indicators.Many fishermen consider that like cheating or fishing with float....
I don't want to derail this thread, but what is the rationale for not allowing the weighting of a line at the tippet/leader?
Old 12-26-2013, 12:03 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

The rational is that these countries define fly fishing as using nothing but a fly line, a leader, a fly, and rod. Anything else added to the leader such as a traditional strike indicator, strike putty, lead putty, tungsten putty, or any other float or weight is not allowed. So special bright leader material is incorporated into the leader to help detect strikes and the nymphs are weighted.

I can just imagine them asking what our rational is for allowing added weight and floats?
madjoni likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-26-2013, 07:24 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
I don't want to derail this thread, but what is the rationale for not allowing the weighting of a line at the tippet/leader?
Silver already said it.People who are for those rules speaking about purity of fly fishing,beauty of casting and similar things.They forget that flyfishing is still fishing and it is all about catching fish.

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post

I can just imagine them asking what our rational is for allowing added weight and floats?
You cant
Old 12-26-2013, 07:52 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Silver, do they also fish exclusively with bamboo, silk lines and hooks carved from deer bone? Or do they just pick and choose their level of flyfishing purity like we do on this forum.

Not throwing rocks, I do the very same thing and am just making conversation.

Back on topic,

Madjoni, how long are the hooks you normally use for your double beaded nymphs. I don't have much (if any) water fast enough to warrant it, but it looks like a good tool to have in the flybox.
madjoni and craigthor like this.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:59 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thanks Silver, do they also fish exclusively with bamboo, silk lines and hooks carved from deer bone? Or do they just pick and choose their level of flyfishing purity like we do on this forum.

Not throwing rocks, I do the very same thing and am just making conversation.

Back on topic,

Madjoni, how long are the hooks you normally use for your double beaded nymphs. I don't have much (if any) water fast enough to warrant it, but it looks like a good tool to have in the flybox.
It's a secret. bwahahahahaaaa.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:08 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of

Quote:

That doesn't matter really .On picture there are regular hooks.Usually that bead that is hidden in thorax I put bit smaller then first one...
I use them in white waters,just to get them down and get them there fast.

And dont worry,I make jokes about purists all the time
Old 12-27-2013, 02:01 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the definition of a fly and fly fishing in Maine. There was considerable discussion on another BB whether adding split shot or beads fit the description of only the weight of the fly line propelling the fly.

"Fly (Artificial Fly):

A single-pointed hook dressed with feathers, hair, thread, tinsel, or any similar material to which no additional hook, spinner, spoon or similar device is added.

Fly Fishing:

Casting upon water and retrieving in a manner in which the weight of the fly line propels the fly. No more than 3 unbaited artificial flies individually attached to a line may be used. (NOTE: It is unlawful to troll a fly in waters restricted to fly fishing only)."

Laws and Definitions | 2013 Maine Open Water & Ice Fishing Regulations Guide | eRegulations.com

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-27-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Here is the definition of a fly and fly fishing in Maine. There was considerable discussion on another BB whether adding split shot or beads fit the description of only the weight of the fly line propelling the fly.

"Fly (Artificial Fly):

A single-pointed hook dressed with feathers, hair, thread, tinsel, or any similar material to which no additional hook, spinner, spoon or similar device is added.

Fly Fishing:

Casting upon water and retrieving in a manner in which the weight of the fly line propels the fly. No more than 3 unbaited artificial flies individually attached to a line may be used. (NOTE: It is unlawful to troll a fly in waters restricted to fly fishing only)."

Laws and Definitions | 2013 Maine Open Water & Ice Fishing Regulations Guide | eRegulations.com
Interesting. Split shot is definitely in the gray area the way that reads. Using a fly line or leader that is weighted internally would seem to be within that REG. Articulated streamer with more than one hook appears to be illegal as well. In the absence of rules you know folks have gotten way too creative on fly only waters/seasons.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:14 PM

Well,making head with tinsel instead of beads is still legal everywhere and I finally found one old picture with big nymphs

Click the image to open in full size.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
rockthief likes this.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:24 PM

biog is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all on this thread. Has anyone fished "wire heads" as bead head substitutes and, if so, how did they compare?

Obviously I realize that I am creatively free to tie any way I please. I have customized many patterns over the years. However, I have always loved catching fish more than fly tying and forums have afforded me the opportunity to save time on the river by asking if things worked, or did not as the case may be, before I head out.

Also, when I get a bee/bead in my bonnet about a new pattern (New to me at least), I tend to want to tie that pattern right now rather than waiting until it is convenient to make a fly shop run. In addition to being cheap , as aforementioned, I am an impulsive tyer no matter how often I regret it. As a matter of fact I probably throw away enough impulsively tied flies to afford a good selection of beads.

This thread, for example, started when I discovered a bead headed midge/baetis pattern, "Higa's s.o.s.". I had the #20 scud hooks but not the beads... So I thought why not a few wraps of silver brassie wire at the head? River time for me is limited and I know I can catch fish on Hare's ears, PT's, WB's etc., etc, so I have not had the guts to tie on a modded s.o.s. and see what happens. Maybe if you guys have had success with a similar mod I can spend an hour throwing one of mine with confidence?