The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   bead substitute (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/340820-bead-substitute.html)

biog 12-24-2013 04:03 PM

bead substitute

Ok, I am a budget fly tyer, in other words, I am cheap:cool:

Being cheap, I never seem to be able to bring myself to spend the money required to acquire a respectable tungsten bead assortment. I do have plenty of larger beads which I generally use for giant #10 Hare's ear and Princes etc. (My reasoning for having plenty of big beads is that I would rather have a giant prince or Hare's ear, weighted+bead, as a lead fly than a split shot.)

I always seem to regret not having tiny tung beads once I sit down at the bench however and yet I am always too cheap to fork out the dough for tiny beads when at the Fly shop. I know what the simple solution is here:rolleyes: but since when was simple any fun?

So my question is this: Will the fish, in my case trout, notice the difference between a few wire wraps at the head of a #20+ nymph and a tungsten bead?
(I am thinking of #20, 22 zebra midges, Higa's SOS etc.)

One last question: Can fish tell the difference between gold beads and silver ones or are these colors simply for the eye of the tier?

TIA

Rip Tide 12-24-2013 04:44 PM

Re: bead substitute

Beaded flies work for 2 reasons
They're shinny without being frightening, which attracts the trout's attention. And they sink, preferably to the same level as the fish.
Match those 2 characteristics and it doesn't matter what you use.

flytire 12-24-2013 05:00 PM

You can build a head with wire wraps that equals the diameter of a bead

They are called "wire heads" and are tied by Doug korn

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/2012/...ds-by.html?m=1

williamhj 12-24-2013 05:17 PM

Have you looked at the prices on Allen Fly Fishing. I haven't bought beads in a fly shop for awhile but find Allen's prices for Tungsten beads to be palatable. Might get pricey to order them in every color and every size but if you get your two most common sizes and only one or two colors it isn't bad at all. I tend towards the dull colors personally.

audax 12-24-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biog (Post 624219)
I know what the simple solution is here:rolleyes: but since when was simple any fun?

IMO, the simple solution is more fun than fretting over nickels spent on beads. Maybe settle for brass in lieu of tungsten, since the latter isn't the answer all the time...or even much of it. Or get the discount afforded by a larger quantity purchase. If being cheap is most important, then try the wire.

Rip Tide 12-24-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audax (Post 624258)
IMO, the simple solution is more fun than fretting over nickels spent on beads. .

I often imagine tying all my flies from scrounged materials instead of buying and tying what everyone else uses. That's one very "simple solution" which I think would be fun for me.
Fly tying is an art and there's no reason why everyone needs to conform. What fun is that ?
The Fly Police aren't gonna come and get you if you strike out on your own and do something different.

Jimmie 12-24-2013 07:10 PM

Four or five lead wire wraps tucked into the beveled back of a brass bead will get the weight close enough to tungsten for half the cost.
Lead wraps under the thorax area with a thread head are OK too. Like RIP said just be missing the shiney of a bead.

darwin 12-24-2013 09:55 PM

Try adding a split shot up the leader, it adds weight without impairing the movement of the fly.

ia_trouter 12-24-2013 11:16 PM

As already stated, a cheap brass bead and a few wraps of lead and it will be very close to the same as a tungsten bead. Allen beads are cheap and tend to go on sale frequently.

audax 12-25-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 624266)
I often imagine tying all my flies from scrounged materials instead of buying and tying what everyone else uses. That's one very "simple solution" which I think would be fun for me.
Fly tying is an art and there's no reason why everyone needs to conform. What fun is that ?
The Fly Police aren't gonna come and get you if you strike out on your own and do something different.

I never said anything about rules or conformity, did I? I took the OP's primary motive to be cost savings, followed by creativity. I suspect if 1.5mm tungsten beads were 25 for $1 at his local shop, this thread would not exist.

Merry Christmas