The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2013, 04:03 PM

biog is on a distinguished road
Default bead substitute

Ok, I am a budget fly tyer, in other words, I am cheap

Being cheap, I never seem to be able to bring myself to spend the money required to acquire a respectable tungsten bead assortment. I do have plenty of larger beads which I generally use for giant #10 Hare's ear and Princes etc. (My reasoning for having plenty of big beads is that I would rather have a giant prince or Hare's ear, weighted+bead, as a lead fly than a split shot.)

I always seem to regret not having tiny tung beads once I sit down at the bench however and yet I am always too cheap to fork out the dough for tiny beads when at the Fly shop. I know what the simple solution is here but since when was simple any fun?

So my question is this: Will the fish, in my case trout, notice the difference between a few wire wraps at the head of a #20+ nymph and a tungsten bead?
(I am thinking of #20, 22 zebra midges, Higa's SOS etc.)

One last question: Can fish tell the difference between gold beads and silver ones or are these colors simply for the eye of the tier?

TIA
Old 12-24-2013, 04:44 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bead substitute

Beaded flies work for 2 reasons
They're shinny without being frightening, which attracts the trout's attention. And they sink, preferably to the same level as the fish.
Match those 2 characteristics and it doesn't matter what you use.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:00 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

You can build a head with wire wraps that equals the diameter of a bead

They are called "wire heads" and are tied by Doug korn

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/2012/...ds-by.html?m=1
bigjim5589 and mcnerney like this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 12-24-2013, 05:17 PM

williamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant future

Have you looked at the prices on Allen Fly Fishing. I haven't bought beads in a fly shop for awhile but find Allen's prices for Tungsten beads to be palatable. Might get pricey to order them in every color and every size but if you get your two most common sizes and only one or two colors it isn't bad at all. I tend towards the dull colors personally.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:18 PM

audax will become famous soon enoughaudax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by biog View Post
I know what the simple solution is here but since when was simple any fun?
IMO, the simple solution is more fun than fretting over nickels spent on beads. Maybe settle for brass in lieu of tungsten, since the latter isn't the answer all the time...or even much of it. Or get the discount afforded by a larger quantity purchase. If being cheap is most important, then try the wire.
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:41 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by audax View Post
IMO, the simple solution is more fun than fretting over nickels spent on beads. .
I often imagine tying all my flies from scrounged materials instead of buying and tying what everyone else uses. That's one very "simple solution" which I think would be fun for me.
Fly tying is an art and there's no reason why everyone needs to conform. What fun is that ?
The Fly Police aren't gonna come and get you if you strike out on your own and do something different.
bigjim5589, alex2 and busbus like this.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:10 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Four or five lead wire wraps tucked into the beveled back of a brass bead will get the weight close enough to tungsten for half the cost.
Lead wraps under the thorax area with a thread head are OK too. Like RIP said just be missing the shiney of a bead.
mcnerney and rccola712 like this.

Last edited by Jimmie; 12-24-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-24-2013, 09:55 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Try adding a split shot up the leader, it adds weight without impairing the movement of the fly.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:16 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

As already stated, a cheap brass bead and a few wraps of lead and it will be very close to the same as a tungsten bead. Allen beads are cheap and tend to go on sale frequently.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:14 AM

audax will become famous soon enoughaudax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I often imagine tying all my flies from scrounged materials instead of buying and tying what everyone else uses. That's one very "simple solution" which I think would be fun for me.
Fly tying is an art and there's no reason why everyone needs to conform. What fun is that ?
The Fly Police aren't gonna come and get you if you strike out on your own and do something different.
I never said anything about rules or conformity, did I? I took the OP's primary motive to be cost savings, followed by creativity. I suspect if 1.5mm tungsten beads were 25 for $1 at his local shop, this thread would not exist.

Merry Christmas