The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 11:37 AM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of
Default Whoops-Vise Trouble

All of a sudden my Renzetti won't hold a hook (sz 20). I was tying #20 midges for the swap. It was fine then came back to the vise the next morning to tie the last four flies, and it wouldn't hold. Pretty sure I got head cement or super glue into jaws. Any ideas on how to clean it out?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:08 PM

quickdraw will become famous soon enoughquickdraw will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Whoops-Vise Trouble

I would try a dental pick or bodkin to see if you can chip it off. if that doesn't work I'd hit it with a bic lighter.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:13 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

If you get desperate, acetone (fingernail polish remover) will soften most adhesives.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:18 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

did th o-ring break?

Click the image to open in full size.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-06-2014, 12:24 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Is that O'ring all that holds the jaws together ?

Mike
Old 01-06-2014, 01:10 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Last night as I was tying a streamer I heard a pop/zing and my fly and attached bobbin were on the floor. When I went to reattach the hook in the vise a realized one of the jaws had broken completely off of my Renzetti Traveler. I have had this vise for two years now and it is my second - the first one had the tension thumb screw strip out almost immediately. Now this, perhaps I will look for another brand...

Kelly.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:26 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Is that O'ring all that holds the jaws together ?

no but it is an important piece of the system. without it the cam lever doesnt work

i think this explains it

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-06-2014, 01:56 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Thanks guys.

flytire: Thanks I just checked the "O" ring after your post, and it looks OK.

Kelly: Sorry to hear that. You're the man when it comes to tying. Hope that Renzetti takes care of you, or I might be right behind you in a search.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:07 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

The O ring on the traveller holds the jaws apart so you can put the hook in. It is a#7 O-ring (1/2" O.D. X 3/8" I.D>.) that you can buy at any hardware shop.

The cam (a screw on older models) closes the jaw. There is also a spring between the jaw faces forward of the pivot point than holds the jaws apart.

I never use glue but since you did, I suspect a piece of glue may be on a jaw face BETWEEN the jaw faces so they cannot close on small hooks. Open the jaws as wide as they can get, get a flashlight and look on the inner jaw faces.

If you cannot chip the glue off or if you actually GLUED the jaws open, you will have to disassemble the jaw.
Hardyreels likes this.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-06-2014, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've heard of the jaws popping from a few other people Kelly. Since it isn't my vise I don't know what the cause may have been but will offer what I know.

If you are holding hooks size 16 - 22 on a regular basis, chances are your jaws are set for that size hook, otherwise there would be issues with the hooks slipping. When you move up to streamer size hooks you should be adjusting the little 'Gap screw' near the jaw tip so that the hook is held back from the tips of those jaws.

This hook is set at about where I clamp all the size 6 - 1/0 size. When I want to use size 8 or 10 hooks I have to readjust in order to stay away from the tip of the jaw. I am clamping in toward the center of the jaw rather than toward the tip. I've been using the vise in the photo since 94' this way.

In order to tie small dries I have to move the entire jaw assembly and readjust so that I can 'tip clamp' a tiny hook.

The hook below is only being held while a picture was taken. Had I tried to clamp it tightly at the tip of the jaws I would have risk breaking the jaw.

Only the people who have a jaw pop know where and how the hook was set and the jaw adjusted. I only offer the text and pictures as a possible explanation. It is possible that the new steel has a problem as well.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;