The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 06:11 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of
Default Tying Tip from Eye Doc.

I thought some more people might benefit from the info that I got while having my eye check-up. The Optomitrist told me the test for reading was at arms length. He said that fly tying was much closer, and that +2's (more of a magnification type glasses) would benefit much more. He wasn't kidding. I got a pair at the "w" store for approx $10. What a difference. It will really be an advantage on the smaller ones.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:28 PM

garybrower is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tying Tip from Eye Doc.

I wear contact lenses that correct my vision to 20/20. I also wear reading glasses (I'm old) at +2.5. When I tie, I put on a baseball cap with some flip-down +3 magnifiers (they're what I wear on the river for tying flies to tippets). So, when I'm at the bench, I'm using about +5.5 magnification. Those #24's are gargantuan!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2014, 09:39 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I use 2 x and 3x,,and have a pair of flip down 5x...me and Gary must be about the same age ! LOL
Old 01-10-2014, 09:27 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Just be careful you guys don't wear this high level of magnification for long periods of time, because it will make your overall vision worse over time. It's a good idea to take a break every half hour or so and remove the glasses and then focus your eyes on things a bit farther away, to give them a rest.
imxer, mcnerney, jaybo41 and 1 others like this.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:32 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jimmie: Great tip! I use a pair of +3 glasses when tying.

Stimmy7: Another great tip about taking a break every half hour or so. I remember when I used to work for the University of Wyoming, I would sit in front of a computer screen with my glasses on all morning, then take the glasses off and go out for lunch and would notice that my long distance vision would be affected.

Larry

Larry
Old 01-10-2014, 01:01 PM

runningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nice

I hate going for eye exams! They always ask me "do you want to be able to see close or far? You can't have both!"

I am completely off the contact lens right now and opting the glasses more since I can just lower my glasses down when I am retying the flies. When I am fly tying which is very seldom, I just take my glasses off.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:03 PM

westie25 is on a distinguished road

I'm sure you guys have seen it all, but being a machinist these are what I use on a daily basis.
Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:17 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Since I wear corrective lenses I opted for bi-focals paired with an adjustable magnifier like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

Mine has a longer neck and is attached to a c-clamp on my tying table. Add some good quality lights and I'm in business.

Kelly
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:38 PM

two_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the rough

Man, reading this post makes me not want to get old. I'm 28 and have had never had to wear any type of glasses or contacts. guess I better go buy a telescope if I want to continue tying flies for a few more decades. haha, just joking guys.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:15 PM

garybrower is on a distinguished road

Saw Charlie Craven at the Fly Fishing Show last weekend. He tied with NO magnification or glasses. I thought: just wait! (On the other hand, he's an awesome tier!)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk