Tying Tip from Eye Doc.

Jimmie

Reaction score
I thought some more people might benefit from the info that I got while having my eye check-up. The Optomitrist told me the test for reading was at arms length. He said that fly tying was much closer, and that +2's (more of a magnification type glasses) would benefit much more. He wasn't kidding. I got a pair at the "w" store for approx $10. What a difference. It will really be an advantage on the smaller ones.

garybrower

Reaction score
I wear contact lenses that correct my vision to 20/20. I also wear reading glasses (I'm old) at +2.5. When I tie, I put on a baseball cap with some flip-down +3 magnifiers (they're what I wear on the river for tying flies to tippets). So, when I'm at the bench, I'm using about +5.5 magnification. Those #24's are gargantuan!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stimmy7

Reaction score
Just be careful you guys don't wear this high level of magnification for long periods of time, because it will make your overall vision worse over time. It's a good idea to take a break every half hour or so and remove the glasses and then focus your eyes on things a bit farther away, to give them a rest.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Jimmie: Great tip! I use a pair of +3 glasses when tying.

Stimmy7: Another great tip about taking a break every half hour or so. I remember when I used to work for the University of Wyoming, I would sit in front of a computer screen with my glasses on all morning, then take the glasses off and go out for lunch and would notice that my long distance vision would be affected.

Larry

runningfish

Reaction score
I hate going for eye exams! They always ask me "do you want to be able to see close or far? You can't have both!"

I am completely off the contact lens right now and opting the glasses more since I can just lower my glasses down when I am retying the flies. When I am fly tying which is very seldom, I just take my glasses off.

westie25

Reaction score
I'm sure you guys have seen it all, but being a machinist these are what I use on a daily basis.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Since I wear corrective lenses I opted for bi-focals paired with an adjustable magnifier like this:

Mine has a longer neck and is attached to a c-clamp on my tying table. Add some good quality lights and I'm in business.

Kelly

two_nymph_rig

Reaction score
Man, reading this post makes me not want to get old. I'm 28 and have had never had to wear any type of glasses or contacts. guess I better go buy a telescope if I want to continue tying flies for a few more decades. haha, just joking guys.

garybrower

Reaction score
Saw Charlie Craven at the Fly Fishing Show last weekend. He tied with NO magnification or glasses. I thought: just wait! (On the other hand, he's an awesome tier!)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

jaybo41

Reaction score
Great tip Jimmie!

I'm 40, with 20/20 vision. Have never worn contacts, glasses (other than sunglasses) or had corrective lens surgery. I feel blessed on that regard. I have a pair of 2x cheaters that I will use when I'm tying very small or need to do some intricate work on a fly but I prefer to tie without them whenever possible.

jimp

Reaction score
Awwright you young whippersnappers, just wait till you need the tri-focals, which I've had for ~5yrs now. :p I've worn corrective lenses since the 7th grade, wore contacts from the 9th grade until about 10 yrs ago, and gave 'em up. Wore cheaters with the contacts for reading, now I all need to do is put my glasses on when I get up, and don't take 'em off until I go to bed. Never have to hunt for that other pair, I make do with what I got. :punk:

JoJer

Reaction score
Man, reading this post makes me not want to get old. I'm 28 and have had never had to wear any type of glasses or contacts. guess I better go buy a telescope if I want to continue tying flies for a few more decades. haha, just joking guys.
Yeah, Funny now. I got my "notice" around age 40. Just couldn't manage to qualify with the M-4. Glasses ever since. HATE THEM. Always dirty, or steamed up, not focused where I'm lookin'.
I have a pair of W-store 2x cheaters I switch to for tying and an illuminated mag glass when those aren't enough.

L

Liphookedau

Even though I'm in The Vintage Class like a few others here I definitely need my Glasses to Tie Knots & also to Tie on Flies & am about due for another visit to The Optometrist.
Only a couple of years ago a mate bought a Reel Expensive Set of Top Class Tinted Prescription Glasses however he went to New Zealand & was way off which The Guide Picked up so he had to revert back to his Old Specs.
Brian

oregonism

Reaction score
I tried using a pair of reading glasses, and my flies came out with really weird proportions. I ended up tying most the material in much smaller sections, farther up the hook, leaving a lot more hook exposed on the rear.

I tend to tie much larger flies now, but I've noticed that the longer I sit at the desk, the closer I can get to the fly and focus on it.