The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 01:17 PM

BigJim2x has a spectacular aura aboutBigJim2x has a spectacular aura about
Default blued, stainless or doesn't matter

Just getting into tying and I am looking for a vise. Of the ones I am considering two of the three have stainless jaws and one has blued jaws. Irrespective of the ferric qualities is there a visual difference when tying flies on blued jaws as opposed to stainless jaws? In other words, is one or the other distracting while tying?

2x
Old 01-12-2014, 01:20 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: blued, stainless or doesn't matter

I've heard that very shiny can be distracting when bright lights are shining down on the fly, never had a shiny vise to know. However, even if it comes really shiny no reason you can't knock the shine off a bit if it is the vise you want.
mcnerney and BigJim2x like this.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:23 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I've heard that very shiny can be distracting when bright lights are shining down on the fly, never had a shiny vise to know. However, even if it comes really shiny no reason you can't knock the shine off a bit if it is the vise you want.
William beat me too it by a second, but 'Plus 1' to the above.
BigJim2x likes this.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:04 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I would suspect it's nothing reg ol' flat black paint wouldn't cure.
BigJim2x likes this.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

2x: Just my thoughts, but I don't think it will really matter. If you are somewhere that will let you do a little tying with each vise to see which fits you best, that probably would make the final decision.

Larry
BigJim2x likes this.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:01 PM

BigJim2x has a spectacular aura aboutBigJim2x has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys. It appears the consensus is that it doesn't matter. Just wanted a little feedback from experience. When I do decide on something (probably at the Mpls. FF Expo in February) if I go with the stainless and it bothers me I figure I can always use some gun bluing to change it but I wont need to make that an issue for the decision.

2x
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:05 PM

ctshooter has a spectacular aura aboutctshooter has a spectacular aura about

My vise has a chrome finish and never bothered me.

Gun blue will not work on stainless fyi, black sharpie will, and can be removed with rubbing alcohol if you ever want too.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:41 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I tie on a vice none of your would buy...heck I wouldn't buy it. I thought it was a big deal forty years ago when I ordered it from Netcraft. But the old aluminum jaws on the Universal not-so-true rotary don't distract me at all. The jaws on a Great White Shark would distract me more than most any jaws I can think of...'cept maybe a big old gator. Thank goodness most trout streams don't contain any of those. There are the occasional snapping turtle jaws but I have only had to worry about those when they dine on the stockers on my stringer. Went back to camp once with nothing but a limit of rainbow heads. Sorry, but I seem to have gone whack-o answering this post. Think I'll go take some Prozac now!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:20 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

doesnt really matter

tyers have been tying on shiny thompson vises for decades

just dont stare into the sun!

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-14-2014, 01:05 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

The older Dyna King Professional has a robust ( big ) forcing cone with the tips of the jaws emanating from it. The factory forcing cone is just a dark flat steel color. While tying at the ISE San Mateo show one year, the owner of Dyna-King - Ron Abbey happened upon me and noticed my vise’s forcing cone had been chromed. He pointed out to me that the forcing cone had been made dull to cut down on glare. I just smiled and nodded knowingly and didn’t go into it with him, I just tied on.
What he didn’t know, was that the very - very large ex-pro football player looking dude standing off to the side of our booth had booked every Wednesday for my entire guiding season and that chromed forcing cone was a gift from him for teaching him to tie. If you’d have bought a seventh of my entire season with one check and then asked me nice to do so, I’d have worn a pink bow in my hair!

Today, roughly twenty four years later that chrome forcing cone is still on the vise and I never notice the reflected light.

TT
williamhj likes this.