The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 12:53 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Regal vises?

POT METAL

i'll bet a dozen flies the regal jaws are NOT made of pot metal!

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-15-2014, 01:00 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I bet they aren't but it sure blew up and looked like pot metal. Maybe there was an air bubble in there that caused it to look the way it did, but it was goofy.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-15-2014, 01:47 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

It's not pot metal. I know steel and the steel in Regal jaws is very good. Not that a flaw can not happen in ANY steel. It can, and it does happen. I have a Regal and plan to be using it when I die. I'd looked at them a few times before I purchased and was impressed with the sturdiness and simplicity of the vise.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:40 PM

changler will become famous soon enough

I've had mine for more than a decade, and used it to the point where I've worn most of the relief from the seal on the vise head. I've everything from bass bugs and muskie critters to tiny midges and haven't had any trouble aside from a few small hooks go flying- maybe 1 in 100, and likely operator error.

I couldn't recommend them highly enough, but I'd strongly suggest trying it and other vises in person- there's plenty of good products out there, and you may find something you like better.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:50 PM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice

I finally decided to get a new vice and went to play with the regal. Instantly fell in love with it. Its so simple and nice looking.

Now I just gotta wait till I can find it at a better price.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2014, 10:40 PM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about

I too have a Regal (standard jaws, I use it with a Griffin pedestal base) and a Renzetti (Traveller). The Regal is rock solid, every part is steel or brass; it feels like it would survive a nuclear war. The Traveller has a lot of aluminum and doesn't seem as solid. That said, I've used it for years w/o a problem. I've never spit a hook with my Regal, but I did numerous time with my old Regal knock-off. I like both vices, and now I pretty much use only the Renzetti on trout flies in about size 14 and smaller, and I use only the Regal for bass and saltwater flies (wish I had the big game jaws now). In between sizes i use both. Both vices hold a hook very well (the Renzetti surprised me with its hook holding ability), with the larger hooks you have to make sure you get them placed properly in the groove on the Regal or they will move around when you put pressure on the hook, when you pack deer hair really tightly or when you crank down on on strong thread on big deer hair flies. The ease of putting a hook in the Regal is sweet, but it hardly takes any more time or effort on the Renzetti. They both work fine, but each has its own strengths/weaknesses. Good luck with your decision.

Tom
Old 01-16-2014, 12:05 AM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

I have a regal and a renzetti as well. I like both, but 90% of my flies are tied on my renzetti. I like the full rotary and the cam jaws.

I have spit a hook and chipped my regal jaws. I still tie my big stuff on the regal.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:39 AM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsubeta04 View Post
I finally decided to get a new vice and went to play with the regal. Instantly fell in love with it. Its so simple and nice looking.

Now I just gotta wait till I can find it at a better price.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
friend of mine bought 3 stainless Regals with saltwater jaws for a hundred apiece from a big box outdoor store. he said the clerks marked them down and it didn't matter to them if a Stainless Regal regularly sells for msrp $, so he bought all three.
he ties on them once in awhile but he likes the Nor Vise for rotary tying.
if I had a Regal I'd prolly use it but alas...
buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory
Old 01-21-2014, 09:28 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
It's not pot metal. I know steel and the steel in Regal jaws is very good. Not that a flaw can not happen in ANY steel. It can, and it does happen. I have a Regal and plan to be using it when I die. I'd looked at them a few times before I purchased and was impressed with the sturdiness and simplicity of the vise.
I FULLY agree... I know POT, and I know METAL... and the Regal jaws are definitely metal, in fact, they're well machined steel. Almost every story I've heard about failures to the jaws have involved hooks clamped in the wrong position... typically, way too far forward in the jaws.

But me? I plan using mine until I die, but I'm not sure if I'll be using it when I die... I mean, it's a novel thought to "go at the vise", but I dunno... .... and I'm not sure WHAT I'll be using AFTER I die, I guess it depends on what's available there.

I tied on a Thompson for a LOT of years before I bought a Regal, and I can't begin to tell you how happy I am with this vise... I can tie on it for hours at a time and get very little fatigue. Having the ability to rest your "off" hand on the top of the vise comfortably is a real plus.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:36 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

I don't think any vise will cause anybody any fatigue

How you sit or don't sit at your tying area will cause fatigue

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/