The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 09:26 AM

troutfanatic is on a distinguished road
Default Regal vises?

Hey guys I got into fly tying about 3 years ago and have really become addicted to it. I am starting to look into upgrading my cheap vise that I have for something that will last me for hopefully the rest of the time I will be tying. I guess I have narrowed down my choices to either a Regal vise or a Renzetti. I have heard nothing but good things from guys who have Renzettis, but I haven't heard too much on guys that have Regals.

I guess I am just looking to hear any good or bad issues with the Regals. I really like the idea of the spring loaded cams, but I am kind of unsure on their hook holding abilities? I will be tying flies from size 2 streamer hooks down to size 26 and 28 midges. So I guess my biggest concern is the hook holding power. My vise now is terrible, so thats one of the reasons I want to upgrade! So if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Renzetti guys don't be afraid to chime in either.

Thanks guys

Mike
Old 01-15-2014, 09:31 AM

torr8966 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Regal vises?

I've got a Renzetti traveler and two Regals. One with traditional jaws and one with stainless jaws! I tie mostly trout flies 16 and down. I find myself going to the regal the most! Renzetti just collects dust! Don't get me wrong Renzetti makes a great vise and you really can't go wrong with either! You will be surprised how much of a difference a good vise makes!! Good luck and have fun!!

Cheers!
Adrian
Old 01-15-2014, 09:58 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I have tied from size 3/0 to 32 with my standard jawed regal. The biggest problem is when you start to get into the really small hooks, the jaws work so well that they can smash the hooks to where they break.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-15-2014, 10:02 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

head out to the fly fishing show in marlboro mass this weekend and try them out

or

head out to your local fly shop and try out their demo travelers and regals to ensure the hook holding capabilities meet your criteria.

i had a regal and never had a problem with it. theres always someone saying the regal spits out hook but personally i think it operator error in the way they insert the hook in the vise.

theres also reports of the jaws breaking on the the regal but it also happens on the traveler. again could it be operator error? i dont know. there will always be speculation on that the jaws were not heat treated correctly but nobdy can provide a Metallographic Failure analysis stating so.

in my opinion either vise will provide you years of fly tying if taken care of properly.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 01-15-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:05 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I love my Regal! The majority of flies I tie with it are in the size 8 to 3/0 range, but I have tied down to size 22 with it. I mainly like the simplicity of it's design, and have owned several other vises in the past. Have not had a Renzetti however so can't comment on them.

The only con I can express about the Regal I have, as it has the standard jaws, is for me it won't hold all the larger hooks I might use. It doesn't hold all 2/0 or 3/0 size hooks, depending on the wire diameter, as a heavier wire may not fit into the jaws. Those are 2 hooks sizes I use a lot.

Since most of the tying I do is for warmwater or saltwater species, I would go with the big game version if I was purchasing another Regal.

I've had this vise for so long now, I got it before they offered the jaws for bigger hooks! Can't recall exactly when I got it, 30 years or so ago I think.
I've literally tied many thousands of flies with it and it's still going strong. (Tied commercially for 15 years.)

I also tie jigs, and have tied them on up to 10/0 size hooks. No commercially produced vise that I know of will hold a hook that big, but for the size range on which I primarily tie flies, I love the Regal!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-15-2014, 11:15 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I have a Renzetti, but have tied on a Regal. If I had to consider a new purchase it would probably be the Regal. The tie breaker would be the ease at loading different size hooks back to back.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:30 AM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

Love my Regal with the SS jaws. It is really good for super tiny hooks and has good hold for most trout flies. If you ever found yourself tying big musky flies, etc. you can always get just another set of jaws for the regal vises. They make a big game specific head that has two grooves milled in it.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:31 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
theres also reports of the jaws breaking on the the regal but it also happens on the traveler. again could it be operator error? i dont know. there will always be speculation on that the jaws were not heat treated correctly but nobdy can provide a Metallographic Failure analysis stating so.
My jaws exploded actually. Two years ago I guess it was. Was in the middle of tying a fly and CRACK!!! Hook and bobbin feel to the floor and I thought it just spit the hook, but nope, the tip on the rear jaw had sheared off past the big hook gap. All the glorious pot metal was exposed. I sent the vice and my 40 bucks off to regal and a week or two later I got it back with new jaws on it. That being said, I've had this vice for........15 years now..maybe 16??

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-15-2014, 12:26 PM

troutfanatic is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys. Sounds like all of you guys would definitely recommend a Regal. I am planning on heading over to the fly fishing show this weekend so I definitely plan on checking them out.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:31 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Two Regals, one for pedestal tying and one for c-clamp. A set of Standard and a set of Midge jaws, no Magnums. I tie mostly in the size 14-20 range and some 2-12 salmon/steelhead, streamers and wets.

My biggest complaint is when you tie on them for 4+ hours a day, 7 days a week, the paint starts wearing off of the area where you tend to rest your off-hand =)

I haven't experienced the jaw breakage/chipping some have (knock on wood, my luck stays this way) but from what I've heard, this typically happens from people mounting the hook too far forward in the jaws rather than "in the pocket" designed for holding the hook.

I also have a Renz Traveler, bought it for when I do some production tying and want to prep hooks through the tail and body stage... I'll do a dozen of two partially rotary style on flies tied "in the round", then half-hitch them off and finish them on the Regal.