The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 11:24 AM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold
Default A few ant questions

I'd like to tie some ants for next season and have some questions. Late last summer when I started flyfishing, I bought two and had very good luck with them during mid-day in very slow pools on a small IA stream. I had an ant with wings and it noticeably outperformed the non-winged ant. Perhaps nothing to do with the wings at all. Maybe it just rode higher in the water?

Anyway, do you guys tie ants on nymph or dry fly hooks? And if I try to tie wings, should I attempt them right after the hackle legs are applied mid-body? I am using thread for the ant body as dubbing is just losing the round lines that make it an ant.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:49 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few ant questions

When ants are migrating and they're winged, that's what you need.
The rest of the time a wingless ant is fine.

Trout love ants.... they taste good. Try one sometime and you'll see.

"Thread only" is good for sinking ants. I make my floating ants from closed cell foam
madjoni and ia_trouter like this.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:49 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

You could give the gorilla glue ant a try if you aren't fond of applying floatant constantly.. Stuff floats like a cork. The instructions in the video start at around the 1:10 mark. But make sure that if you're going to do this, you have the dries white/faster gorilla glue.

I tie mine on a dry fly hook, but with the way this stuff floats, you could tie them on 2x heavy hooks and they'd still probably float well. I've only ever seen the wings tied on on the back side of the hackle. I believe the reason for this is that the wings on a natural usually stick out from the back of the body a little bit. If you try to bring the wings over the top of the hackle, the wings won't lay as flat as the naturals do. But that's just my $.02.

Click the image to open in full size.
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:58 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is another winged ant pattern you might like to try:
Video: How to Tie Mike's Honey Ant | Orvis News

Larry
kglissmeyer1 and ia_trouter like this.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:00 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys. Slowly sinking ants is my goal. But it sure wouldn't hurt to attempt a few floaters. Rising trout seems to be is a pretty rare event on this stream but it sure wouldn't hurt to be prepared.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, you might want to try some Clear Cure Goo ants. Silver posted one of his awhile back, that got me to thinking about doing up some, I'll see if I can't find a photo. In the meantime I also found another nice looking ant pattern:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Larry
madjoni and williamhj like this.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:11 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I will be tying sunken acrylic ants using my UV resin at the Badger Fly Fishers Spring Opener in Madison next month

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-17-2014, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Silver: Thanks for posting your UV ants, saved my from looking further.

Edit: By the way these are super easy to tie, just use the UV Resin and a black and red marker pen. I had pretty good luck with them last summer using a dry/dropper rig.

Larry

Old 01-17-2014, 12:33 PM

changler will become famous soon enoughchangler will become famous soon enough

My ants fall generally fall into two categories- foam bodies, and fur/dubbing bodies. I'll tie the high-riding foam patterns on heavy nymph hooks, and the dubbed bodies on standard or light-wire hooks. When tying winged ants, I'll typically dub (or tie in) the abdomen, then the wings, then the hackle legs.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:17 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

All terrestrials drown and yet very few fly fishers use sunken terrestrials. I fish more sunken ants that floating ants.

Since most fly fishers use floating ant patterns, trout are not used to sunken ant patterns. I fish them as a dropper off of a dry hopper or beetle pattern. They will take them readily just like they take sunken hoppers or beetles.

"Terrestrial insects are not designed to float," said George Kesel, who owned Missoula's Four Rivers Fly Shop until it closed this spring. "When they hit the water, unless the surface film catches them, they go straight through. Whereas caddis and stoneflies and mayflies, they've all evolved to float......

And Kesel has another unique - at least to me - suggestion. He likes to fish grasshoppers, as well as ants and beetles, beneath the surface, like a nymph….

"Buy a grasshopper without a post, without any strike indicators to it," he said. "Make sure it's a low floater, coat it with something to make it sink and then fish it just like you would a nymph."

Mid-day patterns: Fishermen turn to terrestrials to attract fish during summer afternoons

"In truth, trout probably eat more sunken crickets and grasshoppers than they do floating ones..... Over the years I have had similar experiences on other rivers and have many times converted the fishless floating grasshopper and cricket patterns to deadly sinking patterns by letting them get soggy." See Pg 3 of the article below.

Catch Your Biggest Trout Using Grasshopper and Cricket Patterns -- Page 3 | Field & Stream

Gary Lafontaine wrote about sunken hoppers in The Dry Fly New Angles pg 289.

"That night I devised a submerged hopper pattern. We took fish all morning next day."

The Dry Fly: New Angles - Gary LaFontaine - Google Books
mcnerney, madjoni and ted4887 like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy