The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Fly Tyer

Got the newest issue of "Fly Tyer" today. I have subscribed to this for many years and probably where I come up with most of my ties.
This issue is the BOMB! All tiers out there, you need to check this out. Nice Salmon Fly on the cover, but it has got a bunch of Denny Rickard's price flies (which I use on regular basis, specially the A.P. Emerger)
It also has Jelly Chironomids....KILLER!
Old 02-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Fly Tyer

Oh sure, I canceled my scrip last year!

Denny Rickards is the king of lake fishing, his flies work!!
The A.P. nymph and stillwater nymph, are go to flies.

What is a Jelly Chironomid?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 02-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Oh sure, I canceled my scrip last year!

Denny Rickards is the king of lake fishing, his flies work!!
The A.P. nymph and stillwater nymph, are go to flies.

What is a Jelly Chironomid?
I guess you are gonna have to go get a copy to find out, he, he, he.

OR, I do have the material, I could tie one up and post it ;-)

Now I have to come up with a PEANUT BUTTER Chironomid I already have the BREAD!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Joni, you suck!!

That's pretty darn funny, you got me. lol

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-25-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Joni, you suck!!

That's pretty darn funny, you got me. lol

No joke, check out this:

OLIVE JELLY GRUB ~ NYMPHSĂ‚Â* ~Ă‚Â* WILDFLIES | TROUT FLIES | NEW ZEALAND | MARC GRIFFITHS
Old 02-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, I forgive you.

Have you ever fished with live willow grubs? their some mean little buggers and they have a nasty bite, worse than pine grubs!! And Trout love em, so much that some states are now outlawing the use of them.

Looking at those flies, I can't help but wonder what it would do to the look of them if you were to fill the tubing with vegie oil? kind of the same method as Mike Tucker with his liqui flies. Or are these already filled?

Old 02-25-2008, 09:49 PM

According to the instructions it is stretch cord. He mentions start at the bend and if you want a little shine to tem to not cover the hook with thread . Get back to the eye with as few wraps as you can. I have some of the Oil Filled Tubing and I just couldn't see any difference. That was probably me however.
I am thinking MYLAR or some flat tinsel over the hook first. The one that really has my interest is the Zebra Jelly Midge,
Directions:
HOOK: Kamasan B100 or your favorite midge or scud hook size 16 and 14
THREAD: Black 8/0 (70 denier)
ABDOMEN: One strand of Black & one strand of clear
0.5-millimeter stretch cord
GILLS: White Antron Yarn
THORAX: Black Antron Dubbing

I am thinking also a black Tungsten Bead for the thorax withe the gills coming out the eye hole.
It even shows a Jelly Damsel Nymph, you got to get this copy!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

I'm thinking I may have to go find one tomorrow.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Joni have you got that peanut butter chironomid figured out yet? lol

Old 03-21-2008, 08:52 AM

Still working on that one. The DANG nuts just won't stick! Maybe I should try the CREAMY. ;-)