The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 06:27 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default McMurray Ant

I have 1 package of McMurray Ant assemblies that i bought many years ago and have never used.

Click the image to open in full size.

There were other flies in that series also as shown in the link below

MC MURRAY ANT | Fly Tying instructions | Fly dreamers
planettrout likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-19-2014, 08:29 AM

pm287 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: McMurray Ant

Never seen these before. Kinda cool!!!!
Old 01-19-2014, 08:54 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm287 View Post
Never seen these before. Kinda cool!!!!
McMurray ants were popular before people started tying with closed cell foam.
Now that you can buy sheet foam for pennies and punched out cylinders for not much more, the McMurray balsa bodies have gone the way of the great white buffalo.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:13 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Flytire, good post to add to the Ant thread. It's been a long time since I've seen those bodies anywhere.

Rip, you're right, & the foam is much easier to tie with, but balsa is still a fun material for anyone who wants to try something different.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:51 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
I have 1 package of McMurray Ant assemblies that i bought many years ago and have never used.

There were other flies in that series also as shown in the link below

MC MURRAY ANT | Fly Tying instructions | Fly dreamers
flytier...

What ...no colors ???

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 01-19-2014, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I thought about mentioning these when the thread was young but since they are not available anymore I let the thought go. I still have some unused bodies too and a bunch of them in my old down east fly box. They were the first time I ever used a 'component' for tying. Caught a few fish with them also.

Those are old school fella's

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-19-2014, 03:49 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Tim,

Back then I couldn't afford the painted ones!

Norm

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-19-2014, 04:06 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-19-2014, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I never had the Yellow Jacket ones, ever wonder who painted the stripes?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-21-2014, 11:24 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

We used to make these out of balsa and monofilament, using epoxy for the glue. The hardest part was drilling/punching the hole in the balsa without splitting it.

To make the striped bodies, you dipped them in paint, let it dry and then re-dipped them until you had your stripes =)
johnstoeckel likes this.