The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 07:10 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold
Default Musky and Pike Flies

I am hoping there is some interest in sharing some Musky and Pike flies you have tied, or those you would like to tie soon. I have been tying up a few these past few weeks. I will post a few now and in subsequent posts. Comments welcome and ideas for new ties encouraged.

A few Maribou Pike streamers , mostly in size 3/0. I have never fished these patterns, but they are in colors I have had success with in MN and WI. These may not survive one esox bite, but they only take a few minutes to tie and I thought they might be good search patterns.

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Here's a Hangtime Minnow which is a Brad Bohen tie. I need some hairspray to hold it in place for better PICs. This was my third bucktail tie and it looks pretty close to how it should IMO. A very time consuming tie, but the process seems like a durable one.

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

A freestyle bucktail tie The materials are garbage but I just wanted to practice before I wasted my good stuff.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:28 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Musky and Pike Flies

Looking good. I'm gearing up to tie some Musky flies. Picked up some feathers at the fly fishing show in Denver and have some nice big hooks. I also got some different Musky patterns when I was in Wisconsin this past year for inspiration.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:35 PM
changler

Look good to me! I really like the look of that reverse-tied trash fly, throw some eyes on it and I'd be happy getting it wet.

I've been in the process of moving and unpacking flytying stuff, naturally I can't seem to locate the couple muskie ties I spun up before the Christmas break . Ah well, here's a couple in the making:

The two gray guys will likely be finished off with reverse-tied bucktail on the front hook, once I get the latest fly-tying order. The fire-tiger whistler job is on a 3/0 jig hook and is right around 6-7 inches. Tail needs to be a little longer, and as it stands it may be a little small for muskie- but I figure if nothing else it'll work for smallies and stripers.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:55 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

You never really know on the size. It's established that big Musky hit big baits, but they've been known to nibble on something smaller now and then too. A lot of my pike fishing is on very good bass water. Some of the time I try to throw something that will get other species attention as well.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:45 PM

First attempt at an articulated streamer. It is a hollow tie and surprisingly light for the size. This thing is about 9" long. Wanted to test the 8WTs max casting capability and I am pretty sure this will be too much for it. Only one way to know.

Really enjoying these ties but I suppose it's time to move on to some smaller stuff that will be useful where I fish more often.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:36 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Very nice sir, but I think you should take that articulated fly and head to the big rock and chase out a big brown.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Very nice sir, but I think you should take that articulated fly and head to the big rock and chase out a big brown.

That fly will eat an Iowa trout and lose no sleep over it.
craigthor and zippy83 like this.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:23 PM

elhoward622 is on a distinguished road

Here are a few patterns I have been playing with. I'm working a lot of crossover musky-striped bass patterns I can tie.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:29 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Some good looking flies from all.

I think the only two critiques I can make is to add more flash and to layer your materials. Both of these May already be there it's just not showing up in pics.

Fur, feather, flash....fur, feather, flash... That layer helps the fly retain a much larger profile when wet and being stripped without actually having that much bulk. Materials don't even matter that much...just as long as you stick to that formula.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:41 PM

Brook,

Appreciate the honest critique. I am very new at this and looking to improve. Most of mine are layered pretty well whether the PIC shows or not, but they are almost certainly light on flash. Mostly because I am running out and waiting on an order from the dungeon I thought would arrive days ago. I didn't realize how much flash these things hawg up to look right. I do have some coarser flash that might work, but it just doesn't look right to me. Something I probably need to get over soon because the flies aren't for me lol.

Maybe you could post up one with just the right amount of flash?