The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By chauncey
  • 1 Post By stimmy7
  • 1 Post By bear 007
  • 1 Post By flytire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 01:33 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: must have books?

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art by Terry Hellekson

A great resource and a wide range of patterns. The section on "Vision and Color" is quite interesting.

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art: Terry Hellekson: 9781586856922: Amazon.com: Books Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art: Terry Hellekson: 9781586856922: Amazon.com: Books

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

The Soft-Hackled Fly and Tiny Soft Hackles by Sylvester (Syl) Nemes

This, coupled with "The Soft Fly Addict" are both good reading and pattern sources.

Soft-Hackled Fly, The: and Tiny Soft Hackles: A Trout Fisherman's Guide, 2nd Edition: Sylvester Nemes: 9780811701518: Amazon.com: Books Soft-Hackled Fly, The: and Tiny Soft Hackles: A Trout Fisherman's Guide, 2nd Edition: Sylvester Nemes: 9780811701518: Amazon.com: Books

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Pacific Northwest Fly Patterns by Roy A. Patrick

A very obscure title and not always easy to find. If you fish for trout or steelhead on the West Coast, this is one you should own. This was one of the first fly tying books I owned- my copy is the old spiral bound one with typewritten pages and hand-drawn images =)

Pacific Northwest Fly Patterns - Roy A. Patrick - Google Books

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

Trout Flies: The Tier's Reference and Essential Trout Flies by Dave Hughes

"The Tier's Reference" gets into techniques and has a good selection of patterns- "Essential" only has 31 patterns, but the methods and procedures it teaches both new and seasoned tyers alike are quite valuable.

Trout Flies: The Tier's Reference: Dave Hughes: 9780811716017: Amazon.com: Books Trout Flies: The Tier's Reference: Dave Hughes: 9780811716017: Amazon.com: Books

Essential Trout Flies: Step-by-step tying instructions for 31 indispensable pattern styles and their most useful variations: Dave Hughes: 9780811727488: Amazon.com: Books Essential Trout Flies: Step-by-step tying instructions for 31 indispensable pattern styles and their most useful variations: Dave Hughes: 9780811727488: Amazon.com: Books

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing by Joseph D. Bates

Another early purchase... and another book I'm glad I own. My copy is filled with margin notes and badly dog eared. Great information on how to tie on long-shanked hooks and to focus on functional flies more than art forms.

Streamer Fly Tying & Fishing 1ST Edition: Joseph D Bates: Amazon.com: Books Streamer Fly Tying & Fishing 1ST Edition: Joseph D Bates: Amazon.com: Books

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

I'm stopping here. My fly tying library consists of four 3' shelves of books, almost all patterns and techniques, a lot of first editions and most are well-worn old friends.

Many of them introduce concepts as much as providing patterns, like Darrel Martin's "Micropatterns" or Swisher and Richards "No -Hackle Flies", and another one that taught me to think about things differently was AK Best's "Production Fly Tying".

I know a lot of people here put stock in Charlie Craven's book and I'm not going to criticize it, but I prefer the older books that make you think a bit about what you're doing and why you're doing it. Along these lines, a TRUE CLASSIC is EH "Polly" Rosborough's "Tying and Fishing the Fuzzy Nymph".

I was lucky enough to meet Polly and sit with him in his tying room on two occasions... and believe me, this is a guy who didn't mince words when he didn't like how you were tying something =)
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:30 PM

bear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to behold

This was the required reading for the tying class I took 30 years ago, I still use it as a reference.

Techniques of Trout Fishing and Fly Tying: George W. Harvey: 9781558210745: Amazon.com: Books Techniques of Trout Fishing and Fly Tying: George W. Harvey: 9781558210745: Amazon.com: Books
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:46 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

If the information was available 40 yrs ago as today my learning curve would have been much shorter. Today's Google and YouTube would saved me tons of money and time I bought all those books and many more. But see it done on the screen sure shortens the curve of reading about it.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:32 AM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

"Bugwater" is a must have book. It completely changed how I tie and think about certain patterns.

I do not know how to do the funky stuff with the picture of the book in the thread.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:31 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Click the image to open in full size.
stimmy7 likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-26-2014, 09:59 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Amazon.com: Wet Flies: Tying and Fishing Soft-Hackles, Winged and Wingless Wets, and Fuzzy Nymphs eBook: Dave Hughes: Books Amazon.com: Wet Flies: Tying and Fishing Soft-Hackles, Winged and Wingless Wets, and Fuzzy Nymphs eBook: Dave Hughes: Books

Production Fly Tying: A Collection of Ideas, Notions, Hints, & Variations on the Techniques of Fly Tying (The Pruett Series): A. K. Best, John Gierach: 9780871089298: Amazon.com: Books Production Fly Tying: A Collection of Ideas, Notions, Hints, & Variations on the Techniques of Fly Tying (The Pruett Series): A. K. Best, John Gierach: 9780871089298: Amazon.com: Books

And if you like soft hackle flies:

A Guide to North Country Flies and How to Tie Them: 140 Classic Spider Flies with Step-by-Step Photographs: Mike Harding: 9781845134891: Amazon.com: Books A Guide to North Country Flies and How to Tie Them: 140 Classic Spider Flies with Step-by-Step Photographs: Mike Harding: 9781845134891: Amazon.com: Books

And ditto on the Benchside Reference and Charlie Craven's book.