The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 02:43 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Uni-Products or UTC

I have veevus, uni (though i only recently started to use it again, and only at 8/0), danville, pearsalls, utc. Different horses for different courses...

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-28-2014, 07:02 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Thread Breaking Strength Comparison:

Danville 6/0 = around 450g
Gudebrod 6/0 = around 920g
UNI 6/0 = around 930g
veevus 6/0 = above 1kg

UNI 8/0 = around 450g
Gudebrod 8/0 = around 450g
UTC 140 = around 935g
veevus 8/0 = above 1kg

Gudebrod 10/0 = around 270g
UTC 70 = around 453g
Benecchi 10/0 = around 680g
veevus 10/0 = around 800g

Benecchi 12/0 = around 450g
veevus 12/0 = around 530g

Griffiths 14/0 = around 450g
veevus 14/0 = around 520g

UNI 17/0 = around 114g
Danville 16/0 Spider Web = around 141g
veevus 16/0 = around 430g
argail likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-28-2014, 06:40 PM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehunt View Post
I have been a Uni-Thread user for almost 20 years, however I have had an itch to switch over to UTC. UTC seems more readily available, the color selection seems larger and they seem to have more products. I am curious as to what everyone's thoughts and experiences are with the two products.

Uni has Uni-Cord, which is their version of GSP. Uni also has wire, flash, braid, floss, etc. Again, I am curious as to which brand folks prefer, Uni or UTC, overall, based on the companies entire product line. Does one company seem to offer better quality, durability or consistency.

Thank You!
I started with UTC... and still use this thread... & I like made in USA!!!
about color selection for my Russian friend I bought many spools of white thread UTC, he told me, he has a lot of markers (dyeing thread)
I have one spool of black thread (UNI-Thread 200 yds 8/0) from UNI, constantly breaks ( (maybe I'm just not accurate) Now I use it for make a brushes (for epoxy or acrylic)
Old 01-28-2014, 11:12 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I have a spool of Danville 6/0 yellow waxed flymaster that ALWAYS breaks. I don't know how many times it's been chucked across the room in frustration. It always ends up back on the rack. I think there is something wrong with it but I'm too cheep to chuck it.
argail likes this.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 02-04-2014, 09:44 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

When did Uni-Thread get so frigin expensive!?!
Old 02-04-2014, 11:09 PM

bocast is on a distinguished road

(Copied from another post of mine)

Lately I've gone to smaller threads, like the Veevus 12/0 as my "go to" size for wet flies. It is remarkably strong. I also use the Veevus 14/0 and 10/0, the Uni 8/0, the Danville 6/0, Pearsall's silk and the UTC 70 denier. It's worth getting a white and black in each brand and size you want to try and tying a bunch of flies with them to find what you like.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk