The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 07:42 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default Uni-Products or UTC

I have been a Uni-Thread user for almost 20 years, however I have had an itch to switch over to UTC. UTC seems more readily available, the color selection seems larger and they seem to have more products. I am curious as to what everyone's thoughts and experiences are with the two products.

Uni has Uni-Cord, which is their version of GSP. Uni also has wire, flash, braid, floss, etc. Again, I am curious as to which brand folks prefer, Uni or UTC, overall, based on the companies entire product line. Does one company seem to offer better quality, durability or consistency.

Thank You!
Old 01-25-2014, 08:09 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Uni-Products or UTC

I use UTC more often than not... No real reason other than it's widely more available there for I use more of it than uni
Old 01-25-2014, 08:33 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I use both Uni and UTC, depending on what I am tying. I like how flat UTC lays...That being said, I also use Lagartun 74 denier, which is the flattest laying thread I have come across - Veevus for it's strength, Tiemco 16/0 for very small patterns, Danville for colors and this stuff: Semperfli Nano Silk (Predator 100 Denier) in place of GSP...

Nano Silk 30 Denier 18/0 Fly Tying Silk Thread

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 01-25-2014, 08:41 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
I use both Uni and UTC, depending on what I am tying. I like how flat UTC lays...That being said, I also use Lagartun 74 denier, which is the flattest laying thread I have come across - Veevus for it's strength, Tiemco 16/0 for very small patterns, Danville for colors and this stuff: Semperfli Nano Silk (Predator 100 Denier) in place of GSP...

PT/TB
Are there any us suppliers for semperfli?
Old 01-25-2014, 08:55 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post

PT/TB
The one thing I do not like with Uni, in larger sizes is how quickly it builds up on larger flies. Besides Trout flies, I tie a lot of Bass, Pike and Muskie patters, for which I rely on GSP. UTC seems to have better GSP, which I have been using and which is why I am considering the full-time switch to UTC.

Is Veevus all it is cracked up to be?
Old 01-26-2014, 05:21 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehunt View Post
Is Veevus all its cracked up to be?
yup. its now my go to thread. i believe is one of the strongest tying threads out on the market. ditched my uni thread for veevus.

roman moser power silk is said to be pretty darn good too!

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-26-2014, 09:43 AM

bear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Is Veevus all it is cracked up to be?
Another thumbs up here, good stuff!
Old 01-26-2014, 10:18 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Another +1 for Veevus. I'm using the 14/0 for almost all my smaller trout nymphs and dries. Have plenty of larger sizes in other brands to work through but I am a big fan of the Veevus.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:32 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
I get mine here:

http://fsflyfishing.com/

I have been honking on the guys at Bob Marriott's to start carrying the Semperfli products...we shall see...

Semperfli is one of my FB friends so I will ask them who else carries their products in the U.S. and get back to you ! (message sent)

...and yup, like flytier stated Veevus IS that good...

PT/TB

Old 01-27-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
I had a conversation with Semperfli, over the weekend and, at present, they do not have a US distributor. I remember having this same conversation with the owner of Veevus about two years ago. He finally hooked up with Hareline. Hopefully, Semperfli products will pick up a US distributor soon...they are working on it...

PT/TB
itchmesir likes this.