The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 08:08 PM

alt1001 is on a distinguished road
Default What could I do better?

I am fairly new to fly tying. I've been tying for about 6 months or so and never had anyone to critique my work until now with this forum I think this is one of my better ties but I know that there is room for improvement and change. I am sick of watching YouTube, I want real feedback. Thanks!

Click the image to open in full size..
Old 01-26-2014, 08:15 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: What could I do better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt1001 View Post
I am fairly new to fly tying. I've been tying for about 6 months or so and never had anyone to critique my work until now with this forum I think this is one of my better ties but I know that there is room for improvement and change. I am sick of watching YouTube, I want real feedback. Thanks!

Click the image to open in full size..
I'd say you have this fly nailed down. Proportions look good, but difficult to tell from the angle of the fly.

If i was really nit picking, i'd say the thread tie off was sloppy, but that is really looking for something to fix.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-26-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
I'd say you have this fly nailed down. Proportions look good, but difficult to tell from the angle of the fly.

If i was really nit picking, i'd say the thread tie off was sloppy, but that is really looking for something to fix.
One thing I worried about was the thickness from where the wire meets the tail. Too thick?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:26 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

hard to see. need a profile picture of the fly. But i'd say not really. If you're really worried about it, try to taper the body.

But, dont forget, perfect flies catch more men than fish. This one will certainly catch fish. Dont get caught up in too many very minor details unless you're tying display flies.
Otherwise, you'll end up binning every fly you tie 'just because something doesnt look right' to you.
craigthor likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-26-2014, 08:42 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt1001 View Post
One thing I worried about was the thickness from where the wire meets the tail. Too thick?
Since you asked I looked the fly over trying to find a area to critique since that's what you were asking for.

The tie off as was mentioned if you are being super picky and tying flies for a calendar could be cleaned up but I will bet you anything that no fish will refuse the fly because of that. The proportions at the tail I did notice but its hard to tell at that angle. Again I cant see any hungry trout refusing that offering at all.

The way I tend to judge my ties is, would I be proud to give a few to my buddies. In the case of your fly I would be proud to give those away showing off my handiwork. The Biot tails are nicely done as is the spacing of the wraps, the legs are nicely splayed and even. The one I always struggle with is getting the flash nice and straight over the thorax and your is great.

Chuck Norris would give it a

6 months in and you are doing great work. I started almost two years ago and it is addicting

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-26-2014, 08:44 PM

Wink Re: What could I do better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
hard to see. need a profile picture of the fly. But i'd say not really. If you're really worried about it, try to taper the body.

But, dont forget, perfect flies catch more men than fish. This one will certainly catch fish. Dont get caught up in too many very minor details unless you're tying display flies.
Otherwise, you'll end up binning every fly you tie 'just because something doesnt look right' to you.

Well, that works! Thank ya. Oh, I suck at whip finishing. Any tips?

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Since you asked I looked the fly over trying to find a area to critique since that's what you were asking for.

The tie off as was mentioned if you are being super picky and tying flies for a calendar could be cleaned up but I will bet you anything that no fish will refuse the fly because of that. The proportions at the tail I did notice but its hard to tell at that angle. Again I cant see any hungry trout refusing that offering at all.

The way I tend to judge my ties is, would I be proud to give a few to my buddies. In the case of your fly I would be proud to give those away showing off my handiwork.

Chuck Norris would give it a
Haha! That's how I judge mine as well, and well, I'll just say the first few I tied I wouldn't give to Hellen Keller.
comeonavs likes this.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It looks as good as those tied by the old hands at this type of fly. Now let's see a Light Cahill

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-26-2014, 08:47 PM

Wink Re: What could I do better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
It looks as good as those tied by the old hands at this type of fly. Now let's see a Light Cahill
I'll give it a whirl when the hatch comes on and I have read up a little more
Old 01-26-2014, 08:56 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Since you are tying pheasant tails, give this one a whirl. Recipe gotten straight from Charlie Craven's website.

I have caught many fish on this pattern. Basically a red PT with a CDC soft hackle instead of PT legs

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney and alt1001 like this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-26-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Since you are tying pheasant tails, give this one a whirl. Recipe gotten straight from Charlie Craven's website.

I have caught many fish on this pattern. Basically a red PT with a CDC soft hackle instead of PT legs

Click the image to open in full size.
Beauty! What color thread and wire?