The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 09:36 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default Muskie Hackle.....

Where are you folks finding it and what are you using? I saw Whiting Muskie Packs, but no one has them. Any good substitutes that are up to 12" long and fairly thin?
Old 01-26-2014, 10:07 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Muskie Hackle.....

Bears Den has them . I saw them at the show . Also many longer than 12 " and thin!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-26-2014, 10:17 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I've been buying Keoughs for the last few years because I found a hair stylist who had a surpluss of them. Whiting muskie packs are good too though, if you can find em. Check out eBay.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:38 AM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Bears Den has them . I saw them at the show . Also many longer than 12 " and thin!
Many others.....

From other companies or from Whiting? I'm looking for any option as I live in Arizona and this stuff is darn near impossible to find!

Thanks!

I will phone Bear's Den tomorrow!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:23 PM

Bear's Den doesn't have any. At least that is what they told me!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:29 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehunt View Post
Bear's Den doesn't have any. At least that is what they told me!
I'll keep my eyes peeled too. Do you truly need 12" feathers? You can tie one helluva a big fly with something a little shorter and easier to find.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
I'll keep my eyes peeled too. Do you truly need 12" feathers? You can tie one helluva a big fly with something a little shorter and easier to find.
I found a person on ebay with 7 different colors of the Whiting Musky Pack, so I ordered one pack of each color.

To answer your question, in short, no. If you can suggest an 6"-10" option, that is not too wide or webby, I am all ears!

Since most patterns will be articulated, the 6"-10" will work, I just like throwing a couple of long ones in there!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:53 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehunt View Post
I found a person on ebay with 7 different colors of the Whiting Musky Pack, so I ordered one pack of each color.

To answer your question, in short, no. If you can suggest an 6"-10" option, that is not too wide or webby, I am all ears!

Since most patterns will be articulated, the 6"-10" will work, I just like throwing a couple of long ones in there!
6" plus are easy to find. You gotta keep in mind the hackle ties back from the eye. If you want to tie something huge enough to scare most fish try an articulated pattern and you get the total length off the second hook. As much as I dream of a 50+ Musky on the fly before I die, I don't want to scare off the 40s during the chase lol. Big flies do catch big Muskys. But if you are not on prime water, during prime time you could limit the possibilities if you go too crazy IMO.

Search up some Brad Bowen vids, and others too. They are throwing flies they can properly present on the very best Musky water in the world. Or even Pete Mania who throws tackle. Then step it down a notch for presentations purpose because we are not those guys. Those guys fish 200 days a year for 20 years, and still admit to occasionally going a week without seeing a fish. They will be hard to out present IMO. Don't turn it into a lotto shot for no reason.

Hope that helped. Trying to keep it real. Fish what Ted and Brookfield throw. They catch Musky, and not just one a year. They'll correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think they throw 15"+ flies too much. Huge fish will kit a fly smaller than that.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
6" plus are easy to find. You gotta keep in mind the hackle ties back from the eye. If you want to tie something huge enough to scare most fish try an articulated pattern and you get the total length off the second hook. As much as I dream of a 50+ Musky on the fly before I die, I don't want to scare off the 40s during the chase lol. Big flies do catch big Muskys. But if you are not on prime water, during prime time you could limit the possibilities if you go too crazy IMO.

Search up some Brad Bowen vids, and others too. They are throwing flies they can properly present on the very best Musky water in the world. Or even Pete Mania who throws tackle. Then step it down a notch for presentations purpose because we are not those guys. Those guys fish 200 days a year for 20 years, and still admit to occasionally going a week without seeing a fish. They will be hard to out present IMO. Don't turn it into a lotto shot for no reason.

Hope that helped. Trying to keep it real. Fish what Ted and Brookfield throw. They catch Musky, and not just one a year. They'll correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think they throw 15"+ flies too much. Huge fish will kit a fly smaller than that.
I really appreciate all of the information and insight. I also know that you did not know my background, thus the very helpful information here.

In short, and I say this not to gloat, but to simply present my background. I use to guide on and I still fish Lake of the Woods in Ontario. I have been to Eagle, Lac Suel, Rainy Lake, etc. I have put people onto fish up to 54", my personal best is a 53 1/2", I have taken a 51" Tiger and I have seen two fish in my life that were legitimate 60" plus fish.

Now, most all of those were on "gear", however, chasing these jokers on fly is not totally new to me. Since I am strictly a "fly" guy now, I am simply looking to have a good time. If I can catch one in the upper 40's or over 50 on fly, I'd be happy with that one on fly, rather than 5 or 6 on gear!

You are correct on size. Giant "grocery" presentations are not always needed. However, there are certain times of the year when bigger IS better, be it gear or fly. Most of it however basically comes down to.....can you **** the joker off enough to get it to eat!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:03 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Yeah no giant flies for me. 8 to 12" most flies. Almost always articulated too. The 8" tend to see the most action in the spring. The bigger flies come out as the year progresses.

Anything bigger than 12" becomes too cumbersome to throw and becomes counterproductive in my experience. But, if you can throw it all day, go big in the fall.