The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 05:20 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Traditional Streamer and Bucktail Hooks?

Hey all, I am ready to venture into the tying realm of traditional feather-wing streamers and probably some bucktails, too.

I am reading about and shopping for hooks online, as there really isn't a selection at any of the shops. I've read that 5xl is the short end for a traditional streamer and 7xl is about standard. Since I just got the email from J Stockard re: "hooks on sale" I went there. I see quite a few varieties with straight eyes, something I've never been terribly fond of.

Is there an advantage - or disadvantage - to straight eye streamer hooks? Is it mostly aesthetics?

Also, I don't want to buy a bunch of hooks at the moment, I am thinking three sizes, like 4,6,8. Or is there a reason to go bigger, or longer, or shorter?

I am just fishing for a little advice from you experienced tyers of these flies, thanks.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Traditional Streamer and Bucktail Hooks?

I went to the round or ball eye long ago and believe that when you use the slip loop knot to connect to them they swim better than the old 3665 A hook or any other of the down eyes. If you tie for show the down eye is a must have but to fish feather wings or buctails I like the ring eye.

I've been using Daiichi 2370 #6 for traditional looks and the Daiichi 1750 #4 for straight fishing hooks. Both work well catching fish.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-27-2014, 07:46 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Thanks Ard. I won't be thing for show just yet. Those are actually the two hooks I was looking at. Is the #6 2370 about the same length as the #4 1750? Reckon the larger hook size is better for equal length. Are the really long hooks just a nod to tradition?

Old 01-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

The #6 is a 7X long so it's actually a hair longer than the size 4, the 4's are 4X shank length. The really long traditional hooks like the old Mustad 3665-A were made 8X and longer because they were trolling flies for the lakes in Maine. The long hook became such a traditional tying platform that we continued to use them even when stream & river fishing.

With the shorter hooks just mind the length of your saddle hackles so that they don't extend too far past the hook bend. If you were trolling this is not a problem but when we are casting them the long winging tends to end up wrapped through the bend. This causes the fly to swing and retrieve in a corkscrewing manner. I have been fishing feather wing streamers for a large percentage of my fishing for just over 35 years and............. Every time, and I mean every single time that I would send a fly through the very best spot but not raise a fish, when I pulled it close so I could see it....... It was corkscrewing!

When you lift it from the water and straighten the wings out from around the hook bend and recast to that perfect place, I would not hesitate to guess that 75% of the time the fly would bring a fish when swimming proper.

So, mind those wing lengths, you'll get the proportioning together when you've tied a few. We'll have to chat so you get the business of setting those wings high and straight with out a bunch of frustration.

Ard
pm287 likes this.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:11 PM

I will definitely be in touch when the time comes Ard. Soon I hope. I'm going to order the hooks and couple other specialties, maybe a cape or two as I'm running out of grizzly hackle anyway.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:14 PM

pm287 is on a distinguished road

Ard

That is a great clear explanation on how to build a streamer. I have only been tying for a short time and the idea that one needs to see how the fly travels in the water.........

Thanks and have a great day
Paul
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Hi Paul,

We had a long discussion going about fishing them on this thread; Streamers, How I got Hooked on Swinging; I don't know if you have already seen that but if not it's got a lot of stuff

Ard

Old 01-28-2014, 04:27 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

streamer hooks

Streamer Hook Review - Raske's New England Streamers - Global FlyFisher

featherwings and hairwings

http://streamers365.com/

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-28-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
Thanks man, I found that GFF list/review last week and enjoyed it. But of course it is what spurred some of my questions, few of that extensive list are readily available. That site has many great resources including a long list of traditional patterns with pictures. I love it!

Streamer 365 is also an exceptional site.

I have narrowed down the hooks and feathers to a concise list that will get me going on a few simple patterns, to get started. I've been tying for about 5 years and fully aware of the box I am opening here...and I'm a little scared for the extra material storage I may need soon.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:44 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

For size 1 and 2 streamers: Daiichi 2271
For smaller: Partridge's Ken Baker CS17

both are (imho) beautiful, strong hooks perfectly suited to the casting streamer.

Ken Baker CS17:
Click the image to open in full size.

Daiichi 2271
Click the image to open in full size.

Gary
Liphookedau and dean_mt like this.